PlantFiles: Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Bright Sunset'

Family: Hemerocallidaceae (hem-er-oh-kal-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hemerocallis (hem-er-oh-KAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Bright Sunset
Hybridized by Rudolph; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1978

» View all varieties of Daylilies

Early (E)

Flower Size:
Large (more than 4.5" diameter)

Blooming Habit:

Thumbnail #6 of Hemerocallis  by Mainer

By teskopal
Thumbnail #7 of Hemerocallis  by teskopal

Positive EmmyD On Aug 31, 2014, EmmyD from Leeds, MA wrote:

It is almost September here in the Northeast and my Bright Sunset has been blooming non-stop for almost two months. It has produced hundreds of buds/blooms which start in July! It has full sun all day long which it loves, and it gets only what water comes from up above. The fragrance is wonderful and strong and it is a huge orange beauty as well. I can't think of one thing wrong with this plant! Super in every way!

Positive goldilocks0613 On Nov 28, 2010, goldilocks0613 from Conroe, TX wrote:

A wonderful bloomer. Just provides a great show in my area.

Positive Mainer On Jan 20, 2009, Mainer from Durham, ME (Zone 3a) wrote:

This is hardy in our zone, multiplies quite rapidly and has a very beautiful diamond dusted glow not really possible to see in pictures. Has a long bloom time too.

I love it so used it as a pod parent with several daylilies this past summer. The seed production is quite large and I did collect it's pollen, froze it to pollinate some earlier blooming dayliles next summer.

Positive tonybram On Sep 6, 2008, tonybram from Louisville, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Like many other people, I bought a wide selection of daylily of varying colors. The pictures were one thing, but to see them in real time is another thing. This plant, Bright Sunset, was by far my favorite. Its flower stem produced many fragrant flowers which were the most breath taking during its 2nd early summer. The first summer was just a few flowers but mostly plant greenery development along with the roots storing lots of food for the following year. And here's a HUGE BONUS, its seeds profusely so don't clip that faded flower, let it seed!!!! Because of all the seeds, now I have a vast development started of "Bright Sunset" borders in varying areas of mostly sunny spots on my property. And here's the fun part! Although I have marked each border with a metal wire with plate dated, it will take a few years for these new seeds to establish themselves!

So everyday when I walk through my garden, I'm always checking potential growth of the seeds. I know that one day I shall know if that bee "self-pollen-ated" Bright Sunset to produce more of the same or a completely new flower!!!!! Bright Sunsets' seeding capability was enough for me to order more! I couldn't wait for the new seedlings to grow mature. I usually prefer a plant based on its fragrance, however this performer's seed production was just as stellar as its fragrance! You'll love it if you get a few!!!

Neutral Candyce On Jul 19, 2008, Candyce from The Monadnock Region, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Unfortunately, this is one of the day lilies that did not survive our New Hampshire winter of 2007 - 2008. We ordered other day lilies from the same vendor in a 'collection', and about 60% of the collection did not survive.

We have heard from other gardeners in the area that the 'Bright Sunset' is a most viable plant for both our soil and our Zone, so we will be attempting to grow it one more time.

Waterbury, Connecticut