PlantFiles: Red Hot Poker, Torch Lily, Tritoma
Kniphofia 'Lola'

Family: Asphodelaceae (as-foh-del-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kniphofia (nip-HOFF-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lola

Orange
Red-Orange

This plant is resistant to deer

By rebecca30

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #4 of Kniphofia  by TomH3787

By bigbeardontcare
Thumbnail #5 of Kniphofia  by bigbeardontcare

Positive sladeofsky On Jul 21, 2013, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Lola is the biggest Kniphofia I know of. It may take a season or two to get established before blooming. The blooms first appear a dull orange but quickly brighten up and within a few days they are two tone bright orange and yellow (3 colors if you can't the beige of spent blooms.) I love this plant. It's fully hardy here with evergreen foliage.

Positive bigbeardontcare On Jun 7, 2012, bigbeardontcare from Columbus, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

These are beautiful plants, but after their bloom is over, I'm not sure what to do with them. I'm afraid to cut them down to the stem and I'm not sure where to cut if I were to deadhead them. Does anyone have any advice to keep 'Red Hot Poker' blooming more than once during the summer?

Positive Domehomedee On May 20, 2012, Domehomedee from Arroyo Grande, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've had this plant in my yard for 10 years. It reliably blooms but the leaves get long and droopy in Summer and I cut them back by half. This year I am going to move them as they are getting more and more shade from a nearby tree. I am hoping with increased sun and decreased water they will have a more tidy apprearance. The gophers really love these and I caged them underground after the first year, however the deer don't touch them. They are worth having even though they can be a little work, the blooms are wonderful.

Positive charo63 On Jun 15, 2009, charo63 from Manchester, PA wrote:

I found this plant growing in the woods across from my home in 2007 (I couldn't believe my eyes). I dug it up, seperated the tumors and planted them in parts of my yard that needed a splash of color. Last year (2008) the plants did not produce any blooms. This year; however, each plant produced two or more blooms in vibrant orange and yellow on very thick stalks. The plants receive direct sun from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. The soil is mostly clay but I made modest attempts to break it down with peat moss, compost, and manure. I'm very pleased with their performance. My only wish is that they would bloom more than once.

Positive will335 On May 21, 2009, will335 from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I planted one last year and it produced dark orange blooms which resemble candles. It tolerates full sun here in hot south Texas, and appears to be drought tolerant. A good plant for xeriscaping.

Neutral ProtonVehiCROSS On Jul 13, 2008, ProtonVehiCROSS from Seattle, WA wrote:

I ordered a few of these from Plant Delights Nursery. One was planted in fall 2005 in an area which probably receives too much shade (less than 2-3 hours sun per day). It has grown from one tiny bare-root plant into a huge leafy bush in three summers, but the first two seasons, it didn't produce any blooms. This year, the huge plant produced a single bloom on a strong, thick stem. It is easily the thickest, tallest bloom of any kniphofia I've seen, but the bloom color is on the lackluster side -- a dull orange that doesn't 'pop' like colors in these photos show. That could be due to the lack of direct sun, soil quality, or just poor genes -- I'm not sure.

The others I ordered from PDN were planted in full sun (7-8+ hours per day) in summer 2007, but have been slow to establish and have not reached size to produce blooms yet despite being in the ground 12-16 months. I would say this kniphofia definitely takes at least a few seasons to reach critical mass, but once it starts to get there, you'll see that the grass clump is substantially larger than any other kniphofia out there.

Overall, in the Northwest climate, I would say this plant has been disappointing compared to the other kniphofia varieties I have grown. It takes a long time to establish and definitely needs as much sun it can get. Plant accordingly! Hopefully in another year or two I'll be able to say good things about the ones I've planted in full sun.

Positive rebecca30 On Feb 19, 2006, rebecca30 from Cary, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased this plant from Plant's Delight Nursery, NC. Well worth the money. Very large plant, attracts birds. Evergreen color stays over winter. Baby plants within the first year. Stricking color and heat tolerant, sun loving. Grows in my 7a garden.

Madison, Alabama
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Arroyo Grande, California
Rosedale, California
Washington, District Of Columbia
Gowrie, Iowa
Hazard, Kentucky
Louisville, Kentucky (2 reports)
Fort Washington, Maryland