PlantFiles: Floribunda Rose, Cluster-flowered Rose
Rosa 'Julia Child'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Julia Child
Additional cultivar information: (PP18473, aka Julia Child, WEKvossutono)
Hybridized by Carruth; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2006

Class:
Cluster-flowered (incl. Floribunda & Grandiflora)

Medium yellow (my)

Other Details:
Resistant to black spot
Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by sweezel

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by Calif_Sue

Positive LoveMyShepherds On Jan 25, 2014, LoveMyShepherds from Alpine, CA wrote:

I have had this rose for almost a year now and I'm really pleased with it so far. The butter yellow color is really pretty and I love the old fashioned flower form. What I like best is that it has never been out of bloom, even through our hot summer last year. I have also not had any disease problems whatsoever. Very easy care plant. I like it so much that I bought two more of them this year.

Positive lancer23 On Jun 7, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Got this rose as a rescue, was 5 ft tall and section off roots. It died back to the root to nothing then it sprout out new leaves and stem from bare ground. Luckily it must be in its own rootstock otherwise I'll have a stock rose instead. It came back from the dead and now it is doing splendidly. This is my first bloom (see photo) Very golden to begin with and then turns into light butter yellow. Just absolutely gorgeous and charming. NO black spots in misty cold SF under the eves of my windows, under a big potato vine, maybe because I live in a very windy hill. Very healthy leaves of med green. I will say a good detectable scent but not very strong. The bloom stay on for a long time almost 2 weeks.

Positive dsd2682 On Feb 20, 2013, dsd2682 from Hollywood, FL wrote:

This plant has been a good bloomer for me. Always having 4-5 flowers or buds on it. Her flowers do well in a vase although they are not long stemmed. I do not notice any fragrance. Her blooms look almost like an English rose. Very cabbage like, but not globular. She does get black spot on her lower leaves here in South Florida but she's such a vigorous grower that she shakes it off. Overall one of my best producers for blooms so far. We'll see how she handles the rainy season though. I do have to spray all my roses during the rainy season (except for Belinda's dream, she truly is a dream), so it wont be surprising if Juilia needs spraying too.

Positive kaschalk On Sep 3, 2012, kaschalk from Cincinnati, OH wrote:

Spraying and watering with a solution of Neem oil (dilute according to bottle directions - depends on brand purchased) not only banished Japanese beetles, but also reduced black spot and yellows to almost nothing on Julia Child and my other roses. Julia is planted against a south facing wall with protection from eastern and western winds. She is complemented by Echinacea Harvest Moon, Little Spire Perovskia and Rose "Intrigue'".

Positive shopshops On Aug 14, 2012, shopshops from Joshua, TX wrote:

I have three of these roses. Two are about 2 feet tall and one that I purchased as a band is still about 10 inches tall. These were all planted in Spring 2012. The larger ones have been just great. They bloomed almost immediately after being planted and they are always covered in roses. I have opened up to yellow roses after reading the positive comments about this rose online. It took me a few months of sniffing these roses...(Yes us rose lovers are a little strange), before I was able to smell that delicious scent that everyone describes. I would not call the scent licorice as others do, but it is a nice fragrance.

I have one in an east facing location and two in a west facing location. I have not noticed a difference in their flower production. They all perform the same and are always covered in flowers( the band is still little and only bloomed once). I Love these roses. Unfortunately, I don't have room for more!

Positive plant_alot On Jun 26, 2012, plant_alot from Lincolnwood, IL wrote:

Julia Child, our beloved TV chef. This rose blooms continuously and profusely on well rounded shrubs and the scent is heavenly sweet licorice that keeps you smelling for more. Bright, cheerful, buttery yellow blooms that are Absolutely Fabulous!

Positive vossner On Feb 21, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

My 3 Julia Child get blackspot during exceptionally wet/humid periods. I don't care about that. Very floriferious.

Positive bungalow1056 On May 25, 2011, bungalow1056 from Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I ordered a planting of Julia Child from Chamblee's last autumn. I didn't have a chance to get her in the ground before freeze. She overwintered in her pot on my front porch. I planted her in March of this year. She's taken off like a lightning bolt, lots of new growth, lots of blooms and a great fragrance. She's outpacing the Ebb Tide I planted next to her 3:1

I've noticed no problems with any fungal ailments thus far.

Neutral dcarlton On Jan 22, 2011, dcarlton from Omaha, NE wrote:

My Julia Child gets blackspot in our humid summers (Omaha, NE).

Positive LEBARON4 On Jan 6, 2011, LEBARON4 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Butter yellow blooms on plant all the time. Mine planted in large concrete box on sidewalk west facing in somewhat sunnier part of San Francisco which is of course cool evenings and some summer fog as well, dewy mornings. It grew very well and bloomed continuously. Am going to get another for container next to it.

Positive ayla2 On Jul 12, 2010, ayla2 from Berkeley Springs, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

The blooms of Julia Child are really goregous. I agree they make you happy to behold. I planted mine in a large pot, due to the horrible mole and chipmunk problems I have. These critters borrow everywhere. I can feel the hollow areas around my gardens. I can actually stick my hand into the tunnels...my whole arm would go but the thought of finding a critter in there.. jeezze. So I am attempting to plant all my important plants into large pots and bury them in the ground to help conserve water. This has worked well for those I have done so far. However my roses do not seem to be flourshing as well as they might in the ground. Any one else experienced at pot growing roses??

Positive ctindell On May 19, 2010, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very nice healthy fragrant rose.

Neutral Sakanaya On Jun 20, 2009, Sakanaya from Groton, MA wrote:

The Negative post is for people who want to know about black spot problem. In Massachusetts, zone 5a, we had wet weather in June, and I noticed my Julia Child got black spots on leaves. I have Carefree Beauty and Champlain and they are not affected at all. The Julia Child was planted last year and did not have the black spot back then. It took quite an effort to get rid of all affected leaves, and now I have to start spraying anti fungal solution throughout the year... I love yellow roses and its clustered blooms are absolutely stunning beautiful, so it may be worth-keeping the effort. We will see - if I don't like that amount of effort, I will trade it with someone!

Positive Countess88 On May 25, 2009, Countess88 from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I have owned my Julia Child since April of 07'. The most beautiful Buttery Yellow Rose I have ever seen. It always makes happy. This is my baby. Deep green, shiny leaves, d.r., mold resistant which is a blessing on Cape Cod, MA. I now try to buy primarily roses hybridized by Tom Carruth. You honestly can't go wrong. He's my Rose God.

Positive ahaddock On Apr 3, 2009, ahaddock from Thousand Oaks, CA wrote:

In agreement with so much of what the other kind reviewers have stated. This is a great looking, vibrant, fragrant plant. The kind of yellow that makes you happy when you look at it. Also seems very reliable. Now if I could just get my hands on a first edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking....

Positive tashmoore On Dec 7, 2008, tashmoore from Fort George G Meade, MD wrote:

My husband got this for me from Lowes (Jackson Perkins) in June 2008. It was already in bloom and bloomed nearly contiunously until frost. It is maybe 8' from my driveway and still small (18" tall?) and I can smell it when I go to my car whenever it has more then 4 or 5 blooms. I can't wait until it gets bigger. :D

Positive MiniPonyFarmer On Jun 21, 2008, MiniPonyFarmer from Gilmer, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I can't say enough about this rose. The blooms are a perfect medium yellow and they resist fading in the hot East Texas sun. They last several days and rebloom frequently. Her foliage stays free of disease and the plant makes a nice low bushy shape naturally. I'll be buying more Julia Childs to replace other roses that can't perform as well as she does. She's a winner.

Positive faykoko On Jul 16, 2007, faykoko from Cross Lanes, WV (Zone 6b) wrote:

Planted this rose for my father in honor of my mother, who loved yellow roses. It was a JP rose bought from a local nursery. Planted two years ago in August and is now almost 5' tall and around 3' wide. Continuous blooms from May through September. At times you can smell it just walking past. It is kind of a sweet smell, but not as licorice as say a hyssop. Beautiful buds and a nice yellow color. Dad's only complaint is that the flowers bloom in clusters so it's hard to cut a long stem off to take inside without getting some unopened buds. It survived a tough growing year that killed two of our roses and severely damaged three others. I would highly recommended it.

Neutral mystic On Feb 9, 2007, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

2006 AARS (All-American Rose Selection) winner.

Positive figaro52 On Jun 9, 2006, figaro52 from Oak Lawn, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I ordered this bareroot from J&P and planted it on April 15. On June 9 it has it's first bloom. The plant is currently only about 18 inches tall, but bushy, with several buds. Seems very disease-resistant. I'm very pleased so far. Will try to post a photo later.

Positive rightrusty On May 25, 2006, rightrusty from Santa Paula, CA wrote:

Planted as bare root in Feb. 2006 (at least I think that was the month, was a Christmas gift), as of May 25, 2006 the bush is about 3 ft. tall, dark green, large leathery, shiny, disease free (so far, even though it has been a very damp spring in So. Calif.) leaves. There are 26 open blossoms, 1.5 to 2 inches across, in clusters, butter yellow fading to light yellow. Plenty more buds waiting to open. Light fragrance. Very happy, so far.

Neutral Daisy1 On May 18, 2006, Daisy1 from Burlington, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought this rose from jackson Perkins and it came later than I would have liked (the week before Easter - mid April). It was a pot grown rose and came with green healthy leaves. I planted it in a very large pot (30" diameter by about 35"). It now has one fat bud which is a medium golden yellow. I'm concerned about getting it through the winter. It hasn't grown much yet, but looks healthy. The blooms are supposed to smell like licorice..

Williford, Arkansas
Alpine, California
Emeryville, California
Perris, California
San Francisco, California (2 reports)
Santa Paula, California