PlantFiles: Hummingbird Plant, Uruguayan Firecracker Plant
Dicliptera suberecta

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dicliptera (dye-CLIP-ter-uh) (Info)
Species: suberecta (sub-er-EK-tuh) (Info)

Synonym:Justicia suberecta
Synonym:Jacobinia suberecta

Orange

Silver/Gray
Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)
7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #4 of Dicliptera suberecta by htop

Thumbnail #5 of Dicliptera suberecta by htop

Thumbnail #6 of Dicliptera suberecta by htop

Thumbnail #7 of Dicliptera suberecta by htop

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 12, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Incredibly easy to grow . I purchased two plants on e bay and now I have a filler for beds (along with euryops) I just cut new growth stick it in water and in a few weeks I have tons of new plants . Now they are in every bed . As for the hummingbirds , Well they do like this plant but they visit my salvia greggii's more often . One thing I would love to know is if there is a variegated form of this . I would love to trade with someone . I have hundreds of plants spread over two acres in many flowerbeds . If anyone has a variegated form please send me a d mail.

Positive Theron On Feb 22, 2011, Theron from Williamsburg, VA wrote:

In Williamsburg, Virginia it grows nicely. Easily started from cuttings. Last year rooted woody cuttings and gave away the plants; this year I took soft tissue cuttings and have 24 doing well under lights. Additional woody cuttings taken in Feb are starting growth at the leaf axils. These plants are going to a non-profit plant sale in April.

Positive mamajack On Sep 11, 2009, mamajack from Fate, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

i love this plant. easy to propagate. drought tolerant. blooms in texas in july. i am using mine to fall over a retaining wall as it likes to lie prostrate.

Positive vossner On Jun 18, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this plant! leaves are silvery and the flower is a screaming orange. Low maintenance. Died completely in Winter 2009/2010 but was one of the first to emerge.

Positive Spinninggirl On May 25, 2008, Spinninggirl from Mcdonough, GA wrote:

I am enjoying this plant. It is just beginning to bloom:however, I am a little nervous because it has some yellow leaves. I hope I am not watering it too much.

Neutral flamethrower On Sep 29, 2007, flamethrower from New Hartford, CT wrote:

I'm glad to hear that this plant is so easy to propagate because I definitely want to pot some up for the winter and then re-plant in the spring. I planted mine in late May, pinched it back sometime in June and, although the plant spread like crazy (right now it's 5 1/2 feet wide!), it just sprouted its first blooms about 2 weeks ago. I was expecting it to be covered in blooms all summer - in fact, I bought it because it was described as a "hummingbird magnet". I'm disappointed that it didn't bloom for me, but at least the foliage is beautiful. Perhaps I shouldn't have pinched it back early in the season?? I'll see what happens next year...

Positive ceejaytown On Jun 6, 2007, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted last fall, and although we had several freezes last winter, it wasn't damaged and remained evergreen. Now full size and in full bloom (early June). Thanks for the propagation tip, Kipper, because I definitely want more of this plant!

Positive spete On Jul 19, 2006, spete from Marlow, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

Here in SW Oklahoma, this plant has thrived. Our temps have been 105 to 110, and it is not fazed.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Oct 20, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Enjoys the hot summers of Pleasanton CA. That's a zone 9a

Positive kipper2 On Oct 16, 2005, kipper2 from Meadows Place, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Got 2 cuttings from htop at the first CTRU. Boy, do these cuttings root quick! They have enjoyed an east facing bed that gets 6 hours of full sun here in SW Houston area. If a stem breaks off, just stick it in water and roots will appear within 2 week and in the potting soil it goes.

Positive Calalily On Nov 30, 2004, Calalily from Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant has withstood the hot, humid summers of south Texas and blooms year round here. I grow it in full sun.

Positive WStoneman On Oct 26, 2004, WStoneman from Columbus, GA wrote:

When I purchased this plant through Plant Delights the description warned that it likes hot dry weather (it is from South America). I was concerned that our wet humid summers would be too much for it but it has proven tough and resilient. It is now three years old and returns reliably, although later in spring than my other perennials.

It has been ridiculously easy to divide through stem cuttings. The hummingbirds love it and so do the butterflies. A great little plant.

Foley, Alabama
Mcdonough, Georgia
Newnan, Georgia
Hebron, Kentucky
Alexandria, Louisiana
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (3 reports)
Greenwell Springs, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Mandeville, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana
Clinton, Mississippi
Maben, Mississippi
Calabash, North Carolina
Elizabeth City, North Carolina (2 reports)
High Point, North Carolina
Bray, Oklahoma
Florence, South Carolina
Summerville, South Carolina (2 reports)
Austin, Texas (3 reports)
Copperas Cove, Texas
Fate, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)
Goliad, Texas
Jacksonville, Texas
Lake Jackson, Texas
Lewisville, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Los Fresnos, Texas
Lumberton, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring, Texas