Bush Lily, Clivia Lily, St. John's Lily, Boslelie, Fire Lily
Clivia miniata 'French Hybrid'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clivia (KLY-vee-uh) (Info)
Species: miniata (min-ee-AH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: French Hybrid

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Partial to Full Shade

Orange

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Blue-Green

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Goodyear, Arizona

Bartlesville, Oklahoma

Broaddus, Texas

negative

On Feb 26, 2014, MamaZ from Merced, CA wrote:

During our freeze, the leaves died and I cut them back. I think I did the wrong thing as the plant now has no greenery and only a couple of small orange blooms have begun to grow. Will the leaves grow back?

On Jan 31, 2014, brachychiton from Bribie Island
Australia wrote:

A great shade flowering plant that can thrive on neglect. Potash might help those who've had problems getting their clivias to bloom.

On Jan 4, 2010, revlar from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

An easy plant to grow and bloom. The French and Belgian varities were hybridized to produce shorter and wider leaf growth for compact indoor growing habits and large colorful showy umbels. People leaving negative or neutral ratings because their plants don't bloom are the problem !!! .. don't blame the plants !!!!

On Sep 2, 2009, wiggiej from Ann Arbor, MI wrote:

My orange clivia flowers each spring. I think it's helped me to bear in mind that clivias are related to amaryllis and have similar cultural requirements. Both prefer to be kept potbound and require a 'rest period' if you'd like to get them to rebloom. To rest a clivia, give it several months of cool (50-65 F) conditions, bright light (the opposite of what you'd do for an amaryllis) and very little water.

On Aug 5, 2009, mygardens from Croton-on-Hudson, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a very easy plant to grow. I grow it indoors in the winter and outdoors in the summer. It's not fussy about water except it should not be overwatered or left in the rain for extended periods. Regarding the flowering, this plant flowers best when potbound.

On Mar 24, 2008, silviomena from Acton, ON wrote:

I have had this plant for many years and never flowered. I divided it some years ago so I ended up with two plants same story never flowered, so I decided to give one of them to my aunt and it has never failed to flower at her house. Any tips for flowering clivias?

On Dec 23, 2007, EBRACKLE from New Paltz, NY wrote:

My original plant which I purchased in a nursery several years ago flowering has never bloomed for me. Plant has multiplied tremendiously. Have others which were given to me as gifts and have no problem getting them to flower during the summer time while outside. Any suggestions for the plant that won't flower ?