Florida Anise, Red Magnolia 'Shady Lady'

Illicium floridanum

Family: Illiciaceae
Genus: Illicium (il-LISS-ee-um) (Info)
Species: floridanum (flor-ih-DAY-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Shady Lady

Savannah, Georgia

Tucker, Georgia

Garland, Texas

On Apr 19, 2012, Chrysalis_girl from Tucker, GA wrote:

I purchased this plant 2 years ago. At the time it was about 3 feet tall. The good news is that it was only $7. The bad news is that was shaped like a lollipop (whose idea was that, I wonder?). Two years later, it looks healthy and happy, but has not grown much. I pinched off the terminal buds to encourage bushing out, so I'm not surprised it's not taller, but it doesn't seem to be bushing out, either.

Should I be doing something differently or is this plant just doomed to be a lollipop? Perhaps it just grows slowly? Any advice or suggestions?

On Sep 21, 2010, MobileAl from Mobile, AL wrote:

Actually, I'd like some help! Purchased 3 year old shrub in the spring and it was blooming and healthly. Continued to thrive and was producing new growth up until a month ago at which time the leaves started dying. I was advised to spray with "70% Neem Oil" which I did! It finally lost it's last leaves and now just yesterday 4 green buds turned brown! Is there any hope??

On Mar 7, 2006, nifty413 from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Striking foliage variegation brightens partly shaded areas. The blooms are "fragrant," but to my nose and those of others whom I've dared to take a whiff, the flowers smell almost identical to a large, wet dog! Don't worry, though, it's not overwhelming, and so far, undetectable from a few feet away from the plant.