Lily Grass, Weeping Anthericum
Anthericum saundersiae

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anthericum (an-THER-ih-kum) (Info)
Species: saundersiae
Synonym:Chlorophytum saundersiae

Blue-Green

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Hobe Sound, Florida

Zephyrhills, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

On Oct 8, 2012, michaelhickman from Durban
South Africa wrote:

Anthericum saundersiae Lily Grass or Weeping Anthericum Synonym: Chlorophytum saundersiae

This plant is named after Katharine Saunders plant collector and botanical artist who was born Katharine Wheelwright (1824-1901) in Tansor, Northamptonshire, England she emigrated to live at Tongaat, Natal with her husband James who later became the sole proprietor of the Tongaat Sugar Estate in 1860.

I first collected this plant which I found growing in full sun at the Treasure Beach grasslands in Durban in the late 1970`s. The tiny insignificant single stemmed specimen that I collected grew rapidly under my care and soon started to produce vast amounts of seed which germinated readily under the ideal conditions that I gave it and in no time at all I had large numbers o... read more

On Jun 18, 2006, toppercat from Brenham, TX wrote:

Small star-shaped white flowers on wand-like stems bloom from spring through frost in my back-door pot, with moss fern and variegated vinca vines. It also blends beautifully next to my antique roses in the beds, providing good textural contrast as the wands feed through the rose foliage. It looks especially fetching among my Belinda's Dream (silvery pink) and Maggie (deep rose) roses. Stands up well to our Gulf Coast heat and humidity.

On Mar 12, 2006, michaeladenner from Deland, FL wrote:

I have the variegated version of this plant planted around some rose bushes which get part-day sun (5-6 hours/day of sun, less in the winter). It blooms throughout the spring, and then intermittently in the summer. Pretty, but not full enough to use in a swale, as suggested by another user -- for that nothing beats Dietes vegata. My Anthericum forms divisible clumps, but was burned a bit by a frost we had (23 degrees F), so I doubt it will ever grow much beyond a smallish clump (1ftx1ft).

On Feb 10, 2006, sltxgardener from Sugar Land, TX wrote:

I have both a variegated version and a non-variegated version and they look good all year in my zone 8a/9b garden as the grass-like foliage is evergreen here. They almost always have a few tiny, star-shaped, white blooms, so this is a great plant for year-round interest without a lot of color or dramatic impact.

On Jun 29, 2005, seedlng from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote: