Potato
Solanum tuberosum 'Purple Peruvian'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: tuberosum (too-ber-OH-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Purple Peruvian
Additional cultivar information:(aka Peru Purple Finger, Purple Congo, Blue Peruvian)
» View all varieties of Potatoes

Bethesda, Maryland

Coos Bay, Oregon

positive

On Aug 5, 2007, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I grew these for the first time this year, zone 5a, Iowa. I enjoyed them very much and had a reasonably good yield. I grew 5 plants and they all had about 8 or so tubers on them, some a few more. These are a fingerling style of potato. I would grow them again. I roasted them in the oven and they retained their lovely colour and have a nice, nutty flavour. I didn't boil them so I don't know if they lose their colour in boiling. Pretty when mixed with other colours of potatoes in the same dish. Might be weird for potato salad if the purple came out into the mayo.

On Mar 2, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

According to one source, this potato is a treasured, traditional variety from the highlands of the Andes that is hard to find.

On Mar 21, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

The only fingerling which is purple through and through. Intense blue-purple skin and flesh makes this spud stand outóon the plate or at the market. Smooth earthy flavor excellent for home fries on a cold winterís night. Good choice for green sprouting as it is very late maturing. Purple Peruvian is a little on the wild side, showing some tolerance to frost, resistance to scab and late blight, and a tendency to overwinter from missed tubers in the ground. Medium-sized plant has white flowers with a purple star.