Coriander, Cilantro, Chinese Parsley
Coriandrum sativum 'Delfino'

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Coriandrum (kor-ee-AN-drum) (Info)
Species: sativum (sa-TEE-vum) (Info)
Cultivar: Delfino

Herbs

Not Applicable

Rose/Mauve

Aromatic

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Santa Clara, California

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

Valencia, Pennsylvania

Manor, Texas

Madison, Wisconsin (2 reports)

On Oct 7, 2013, MunkeboFarm from Manor, TX wrote:

I find the flavor to be the same as traditional cilantro. The best quality of this cilantro is the fact that it lasts forever in the refrigerator. If you've ever experienced how fast cilantro goes bad you can appreciate this quality. Delfino also grows larger than standard cilantro, needs less water and is slower to bolt. I believe the fern quality of the leaves help it in all the a fore mentioned situations.

On Jun 26, 2011, kitty_rankin from Madison, WI wrote:

I have Delfino in my garden. This is the first time I have planted it and it the dill-like foliage has none of the distinctive cilantro flavor. It tastes more like a strange version of parsley. I am going to keep it to see if I can harvest some seeds, although I rarely use coriander in recipes. I will report back if my plants end up producing seeds. Meanwhile I am going to plant some real cilantro.

On Apr 21, 2011, tukeemike from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Ok folks. Do not be deceived! Delmonico cilantro is nothing more than cilantro that is flowering. The leaves change from the flat palm shape to a dill like form. In another two weeks you will not find it in the desert southwest. You do not need to buy 'special' seed. if you plant cilantro in the fall, you will get delmonico in the late spring - early summer. Sure it is still edible but nothing out of the ordinary.

On Jul 28, 2008, teachnkids from Johannesburg
South Africa (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had hugh success growing this plant in containers. It grew around 3 to 3 1/2 feet tall and was very easy to grow. My plants have a white flower. I do agree with the two previous comments though, it is not the plant you want if you are growing it solely or primarily for its leaves. It does produce many bloosoms and thus a lot of coriander, but the leaves are very delicate and not the typical cilantro leaves. Still, I have enjoyed picking and using some of the fern-like leaves in Mexican dishes and as garnishes. They have a great smell and flavor. My 2 year old son loves picking them and eating them off the plant.

The leaf part of this plant is called cilantro and is an herb, while the seeds are called coriander and are a spice. All parts of the plant are edible, including t... read more

On Mar 15, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I didn't like this one either. It was billed as a refined version of cilantro, with more intense flavor and fern-like leaves... In reality it's a cilantro that has sparse ferny foliage, more like dill than cilantro, except without all the branching stems of dill. The result is very little actual cilantro per plant - and I didn't find the flavor particularly intense or interesting. Classic is best - this one is a waste of space.

On Jul 7, 2007, BobbyWong from Gibsonia, PA wrote:

This plant wants to bolt like there's no tomorrow. I wish that I had grown a more traditional variety of cilantro this season, because I have gotten virtually no results out of this one. I have watched it double in size after a rainstorm and then start flowering the next day.

This variety grows like crazy, but despite my best efforts it will flower immediately when I cut it back. I only grow a couple cilantro plants every year for salsa purposes, so I want them to produce leafy cilantro. I think that this is really something that the coriander people might be more interested in.

No matter how much I cut this thing back, it keeps wanting to grow upwards. I really really want a cilantro shrub and this is not it. The worst is that it has started rotting aro... read more

On May 3, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

All-American Selections Winner. Same traditional cilantro flavor, but with fern-leaf, open leaves that more closely resemble dill. As well as traditional cilantro uses, its also suitable as a garnish.