PlantFiles: Pawpaw, Paw Paw, Papaw, Poor Man's Banana, Michigan Banana
Asimina triloba 'Mason/WLW'

Family: Annonaceae
Genus: Asimina (a-SEE-mee-nuh) (Info)
Species: triloba (try-LO-buh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mason/WLW

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Scarlet (Dark Red)

By grafting
By budding

By gonedutch
Thumbnail #1 of Asimina triloba by gonedutch

Positive gonedutch On Apr 1, 2006, gonedutch from Fairport, NY wrote:

I bought a pair of bare root plants from Miller Nurseries in upstate New York some ten years ago. I planted them with relatively little protection from our winter weather. But one plant was set back apparently by frost damage some years ago; the other survived intact and reached flowering maturity in 2005 (see my image). I expect that both plants will flower this season and that they will produce fruit, since this species requires two plants to polinate. Meanwhile the foliage has been spectacular and I recommend the tree for a privacy blind in the garden border. In our growing zone it apparently needs the protection of adjacent plant material to survive our winters. This is a good American native that deserves to be grown more widely in our gardens. And I am told that the fruit is edible, delicious, and healthful!

Neutral Farmerdill On Mar 27, 2006, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

"Selected from the wild in Mason, OH, by Ernest J. Downing in 1938."

Fairport, New York