Scarlet Hedge Nettle, Scarlet Hedgenettle, Seven-up Plant, Texas Betony, Texas Woundwort

Stachys coccinea

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stachys (STAK-iss) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)

Scarlet (Dark Red)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By simple layering

Alameda, California

Perris, California

Plant City, Florida

Red Wing, Minnesota

New Bern, North Carolina

Abilene, Texas

Atlanta, Texas

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Belton, Texas

Crawford, Texas

Kerrville, Texas

Los Fresnos, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)

Spring Branch, Texas

On Jul 4, 2015, williamca from Plant City, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Bought from TX in 2011. An all summer blooming perennial, that withstands freeze. No bugs or disease. My kind of plant for a filler in a tropical garden.

On Aug 25, 2010, sunshine_2 from Granite City, IL wrote:

My scarlett hedgenettly will not bloom, any suggestions????

On Oct 22, 2004, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I am so excited about this plant in my garden!! I really have good vibes about it. I am thinking about planting three more from the same source this fall (Fall 2005)!! It attracts hummingbirds almost hourly. It is nice to feed the hummingbirds from a natural source instead of sugar!!

12/7/2005 edit...This plant is really worth the money. I have added two more Scarlet Hedgenettles. The plants I had last year growing season are still blooming even though we have already had two frosts

6/15/2006 edit...The two extra Scarlet Hedgenettles were overwhelmed by the plant that I started last year. Who says that this plant is small? The Scarlet Hedgenettle that I have is 3 ft hi by 5 ft wide. As soon as the blooming slows down, I will prune it.

... read more

On Mar 1, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Texas Red/Crimson Texas Betony
One of my favorites because it is evergreen, very heat and cold tolerant and disease and insect free. It has withstood 113 degree and 17 degree weather! At 17 degrees it experienced some freeze burn on young leaves. It blooms almost constantly except during extreme cold. Tender young leaves turn a crimson in cold weather. It performs wonderfully in sun or partial shade. Give it plenty of room because it branches into a beautiful mound which can override other plants. As a container plant, it overflows so much the container is hidden and the unit looks like a small shrub. Use as a border plant. Prune to maintain size. Propogate by dipping in root stimulator medium, sticking in soil and keeping moist for a week or two. Mine have never re... read more

On Jan 15, 2003, Baa wrote:

An evergreen perennial from Texas and Mexico.

Has ovate to almost triangular, bright green, wrinkled leaves, the leaves and stems are covered in soft white hairs. Bears 2 lipped, scarlet red flowers.

Flowers mainly May-September

Loves a well drained soil in full sun. Dislikes too much winter wet so may need some protection in rainy regions.

On May 3, 2002, loisbeth wrote:

Texas native perennial. Very drought resistant once established. Scarlet flowers throughout the season. Trim occasionally to keep compact. Hummingbirds LOVE this one.