Abutilon, Flowering Maple 'Magic Lantern'

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abutilon (a-BEW-tih-lon) (Info)
Cultivar: Magic Lantern

Wellborn, Florida

Lake Charles, Louisiana

Spring, Texas

On Jun 25, 2012, r_doll from Modesto, CA wrote:

I originally grew this with a northern exposure that had at least 4 hours of direct sun under an awning. It thrived in loamy soil, growing to 10 feet tall but was rather leggy. I rooted a woody cutting and transplanted it the next year in a western exposure against a fence, again in loamy soil. The leaves wilt in the hot afternoon sun, but they perk up in early evening. Rather than risk losing it, I'll replant it where it won't be so exposed to the searing sun of afternoon, and see what happens when I pinch the tops at about 3 feet tall. I love the flowers and foliage, and so do the hummingbirds. The flower looks like a Tiffany lampshade.

On Feb 8, 2011, carolu from San Marcos, CA wrote:

I bought this plant about a year ago at the Buena Creek Gardens in North San Marcos, Ca. I live in Lake San Marcos, and I just put it in the ground against a fence facing North and it has taken over and is beautiful growing very fast. It does not get much sunshine which apparently does not mind. I am thinking getting another as the leaves and flowers are so attractive.

On Feb 7, 2011, cabngirl from Sonoma, CA wrote:

I love abutilon and this one especially because it's the favorite of the orioles that come every spring. They enjoy the pink as well but the orange pendulous blooms seem to attract them more. Also hummingbirds of course love abutilon. Easy to grow, as the other poster mentioned. I've started them from prunings simply by stabbing a semi-woody length into the ground- which makes it easy to grow in places harder to dig a hole (ie I have a very narrow stretch between fence and pavement that I've turned into a fully jammed-packed "garden" this way with anything I can poke in).
As I have many varieties of abutilon I am often discovering new lovely hybrids (volunteers), many which positively evidence this plant ie showing jewel-colored and or veined blossoms or similar upright growth etc.... read more

On Feb 7, 2011, altoclef from Los Altos, CA wrote:

This plant seems to grow wherever I put it, and I put it all over, shade, wet, dry, sun, containers, etc. It blooms throughout the year. It has one little quirk: It seems to grow from the top, leaving bare branches beneath. Since the flowers are on the tips of the stems, and they are not good cut flowers, pruning takes a lot of will power. I've learned how to prune, sometimes lightly, sometimes ruthlessly, and the plants look great and bloom splendidly.