PlantFiles: Lettuce, Butterhead Lettuce
Lactuca sativa 'Goose'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lactuca (lak-TOO-kuh) (Info)
Species: sativa (sa-TEE-vuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Goose

» View all varieties of Lettuce

Vegetables

Open-pollinated

By aries44
Thumbnail #1 of Lactuca sativa by aries44

Positive evergreenthumb On Sep 10, 2014, evergreenthumb from Redwood City, CA wrote:

This is a 5-Star lettuce! I got my original seeds from International Seed Savers in the early 1990s, and the seeds are rare. Goose lettuce immediately became my favorite, and I've saved my seeds every year. In my area, my goose lettuce survives winters with temps down to low 20s, but bolts quickly in warm weather. It's a beautiful dark green, with maroon coloring, semi-crisp, semi-Bibb. The maroon coloring varies in intensity depending on the amount of sun the plants receive. (or so it seems to me) It's a very hardy and dependable variety, it germinates easily in cool weather, but difficult to germinate in warm weather. After nearly 25 years of growing it, it's still my favorite, and I try to never be without it in my garden.

Neutral aries44 On Apr 21, 2006, aries44 from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

50 days. A beautiful speckled red on dark green, semi-bibb type.