Azalea
Rhododendron 'Vuyk's Johanna'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhododendron (roh-do-DEN-dron) (Info)
Cultivar: Vuyk's Johanna

Stow, Ohio

Portsmouth, Virginia

positive

On May 19, 2011, hutchygirl from Stow, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've had my azalea Johanna for 2 yrs, this is 3rd season, I had my doubts..1st yr was in sunny location {where it constantly dropped leaves and never bloomed}, I moved it last yr and alas, finally, it has tons of bright pink / fuschia buds...it's thriving, allbeit quite slowly, in a pot, in a relatively shady spot, on my patio...without ever having been fertilized! I've battled aphids, Japanese beetles, mealy bugs, a mole/shrew , chipmunks, squirrels and one of the worst winters I remember...(so far) it seems to resist the bugs...there's hope for us in zone 5b that we, too, can enjoy the beauty of Johanna's lovely, bright blooms - even contained and on the patio!...this little gem's a trooper!