Informal Decorative Dahlia 'Who dun It'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Dahlia (DAHL-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Who dun It

Small - 4 to 6 inches (100 to 150 mm) diameter

Lilac, Lavender, Mauve

Do not disbud

From leaf cuttings

Flowers are good for cutting

Clinton, Connecticut

Issaquah, Washington

Vancouver, Washington

On Sep 7, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Mine took long to flower, probably because it grows so tall! At 6' 1" and growing, it's next bud should be opening around mid September, even though I planted them with a little extra time this year. The late bloom could be environmental or a typical species-specific characteristic. All I know is that I need a ladder to look at it head-on! Asthetically, I find the flower doesn't justify the height. If one places the plant toward the back of a display, the flower @ 5" in width and soft colors does not stand out enough. Best as a specimen display, it's height and the rigidity of its stalk are the first things you notice.

On Jun 18, 2007, Junctioncats from Cambridge, VT (Zone 4a) wrote:

This is one dahlia I've had no luck with. I've tried for three years to get WhoDunIt to do anything other than sprout. The plant will come out of the ground about 6" and there it will stay. It will not produce buds, nothing. I know my source of tubers is A-1, so it must be something about this particular tuber not liking northern Vermont. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

On May 5, 2006, grannymarsh from Marquette, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Beautiful flowers, the petals have a satiny sheen to them. Decent tuber production.