Siberian Bugloss, False Forget-Me-Not, Perennial Forget-Me-Not

Brunnera macrophylla

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Brunnera (BROO-ner-uh) (Info)
Species: macrophylla (mak-roh-FIL-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Anchusa myosotidiflora

Springfield, Missouri

Lincoln, Nebraska

Munsonville, New Hampshire

Brockport, New York

Buffalo, New York (2 reports)

Clayton, New York

Anacortes, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Mountain, Wisconsin

On May 18, 2015, fiberous from Toronto

This plant is very close to being invasive in my shade garden, It reseeds prolifically and gets in under under other plants where its huge root system is hard to remove. However, with diligent weeding to provide one or two big clumps, it provides an attractive addition to a difficult area (shade most of day, hot sun for an hour or two in late afternoon).

On May 26, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Brunnera was one of my first shade-garden plants, and I really love it. It blooms for about 2 months in the spring; if I remove the spent flowers, sometimes it will rebloom a bit. After they bloom the foliage is still very attractive. I always wear gloves when handling these because the leaves are rough. They don't seem to have any pest or disease issues and are very low-maintenance.

On Jan 9, 2009, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Seem to be frustrating to grow for me - maybe it's the alkaline tap water?

On May 21, 2008, milkbonehappy from Chester, VT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I sowed seeds of forget-me-not in the spring one year ago. The plant did not flower the first season, and was not very vigorous. I wasn't sure if the plant coming up where I sowed the seeds were even forget-me-nots, or just weeds. However, this spring, this was the first green plant in the shade garden. I was still not sure if I was dealing with weeds until it finally bloomed for the first time, in zone 5 in April, tiny bright blue flowers with a ring of yellow in the center. It is vigorous following a harsh winter, and growing very well in shade with some dappled afternoon sun. I expected a low groundcover but it has grown to be about 8 inches tall, it seems to bolt just before flowering, and has spread laterally into good-sized bunches. The foliage is unremarkable. Overall I am p... read more

On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Short 16" - Plant 18" apart. z3-7 Bold green foliage; from Russia. Sky-blue flowers in early spring. The heart-shaped, textured leaf is ideal for woodland settings or the perennial border. It loves moisture, does best in light shade.

On Nov 21, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Love this plant! Love the bright blue flowers, love the heart shaped leaves and love that it self sows easily!

On May 1, 2006, Golda from Sherman, CT wrote:

I have found the Brunnera to be slightly invasive but by seeds not rhysomes so it can be confined. The roots are strong and stubborn to remove. I love the flowers so I retain some.

On Nov 3, 2005, dietznbach from Kenmore, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

In my first year of gardening at my new house, I found this plant peeping under the shoots of my peonies. Delicate blue flowers soon shot up from it, the only color that partial shade border had all spring. I moved it toward the middle of the bed between two peonies so it could thrive. By the summer the two peonies hid the plant completely. When fall came, I pulled the peonies back where I found the Siberian bugloss still chugging along contentedly despite the fact it had virtually no sun for several months. I loved the plant so much that I dug up about half of one of the peonies (which was acting thuggish towards my sedum anyway) to give it a little light and air.

On Jul 9, 2005, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant. I have it growing in part shade in thick clay, which is moist but not waterlogged. It flowers for ages, and once they're gone you're left with wonderful architectural foliage. Seems to grow bigger than the stated size - my clump's getting on for three foot wide. And it's not bothered by snails/slugs, either.

On May 4, 2004, brimmsplace from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

This plant is absolutely gorgeous. Has been blooming for over a month now. We like this plant so much that we went out and bought "Jack Frost". Can't wait to see what it looks like in couple of years.

On Aug 4, 2003, Ladyfern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

It's growing under a maple tree where most other perennials languish. Foliage is quite attractive and the dainty flowers are refreshing in the woodland garden.

On Aug 24, 2001, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

False forget-me-not, or Siberian bugloss, has clusters of small sky blue to purple blooms for several weeks in spring. Plants grow 12-18" tall and have attractive heart-shaped foliage.They do well in moist well-drained soil.