Parrot Gladiola, African Parrot Gladiola

Gladiolus dalenii

Family: Iridaceae (eye-rid-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gladiolus (GLAD-ee-oh-lus) (Info)
Species: dalenii
Synonym:Gladiolus natalensis
» View all varieties of Gladiolus

Flowers are good for cutting

Daleville, Alabama

Athens, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Oct 23, 2013, michaelhickman from Durban
South Africa wrote:

Gladiolus dalenii grows naturally along the subtropical east coast of South Africa and are very plentiful in and around Durban having both a spring as well as an autumn flowering form. I have been researching Gladiolus dalenii for suitability to be grown on green roofs and have found them to be very suitable giving a blaze of colour on rooftops that are not too subjected to high wilds that can blow the flower spikes over.

I have more information at the following web addresses for those who would like to know more about this very attractive plant for use on green roof applications.
... read more

On Jun 8, 2013, Handed from Armidale
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nothing but praise for this plant as it flowers in mid to late Autumn and even slightly into early winter when there are no bright flowers to compete with it. I have it under Viburnum plicatum tomentosum, which drops its leaves just in time to show this Gladi growing up through the horizontal branches (which hold it up and stop it flopping), and it grows so tall the flower heads reach above the top branches, though eventually I may have to relocate them if shrub gets taller. It's taller than I am! It multiplies slowly and doesn't show invasive tendencies here (zone 8a).

On May 26, 2011, DebinSC from Georgetown, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

Love it. I found them last year growing wild at the edge of some woods. Dug a few and they are doing better than any other variety I've purchased.

On May 2, 2010, elder85 from Bucyrus, OH wrote:

I purchased Parrot Gladiola last year from an internet seller in Florida. They bloomed very well the first year, survived the winter with mulching, and as of May 1 are pushing up new growth. It was a mild winter with heavy snowfall. The lowest temperature was 2 degrees above zero F. Corms were planted both along building foundations and in the open garden. I am curious to see how they do over a colder winter, but have read that Gladiolus dalenii is Zone 6 hardy.

On Mar 4, 2009, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I live in zone 8a. I found this one glad growing in the field behind my house. I dug it up, moved it to my garden and it is doing beautiful! It is absolutely gorgeous. I will be looking for more! The flowers also seem to last longer than most glads - nearly 3 weeks!

On May 12, 2006, BamaBelle from Headland, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Beautiful plant that grows wild in this area. I found mine growing by the roadside. I found a web entry that said it was 'rare' and they were charging $20 per plant...I found other websites that said it was noxious and considered a weed because it can become invasive. However, I didn't see it as being any more invasive than any other gladiolus.

I love the bright orange and yellow bicolor flowers with the yellow speckles in the orange. The blooms are smaller than the commerical glads, but the color is so showy, that it just jumps out at you when you see it by the road. and it is very hardy in the SE Alabama/ SWGeorgia heat.