PlantFiles: Cabbage Palm, Cabbage Tree, Ti Kouka, Torbay Palm, Dracaena Spike
Cordyline australis 'Red Sensation'

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cordyline (kor-di-LY-nee) (Info)
Species: australis (aw-STRAL-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Sensation

Thumbnail #5 of Cordyline australis by meintsm

Thumbnail #6 of Cordyline australis by meintsm

Thumbnail #7 of Cordyline australis by meintsm

Neutral ksarsons On Mar 29, 2013, ksarsons from Las Vegas, NV wrote:

I found these plants do not fair well in hot Vegas sun. The 2 I put in full sun burnt rather quickly. The 3 I planted in partial afternoon sun died the first year. The 2 I planted along the house get only summer morning sun and late afternoon summer sun, they sit in shade (Sept to March) and they don't seem to mind but they do grow slow and have kept their color.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Jul 16, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

Have four , The ones in partial shade hold their beautiful color well and contrast nicely with the other plants they are planted with . The one I do have in full blazing Texas sun burns to a ugly brown crispy looking thing and only the center stays its color . anyone have suggestions on the sun requirements for this plant in Central Texas ? I would really hate to loose one of these beautiful plants.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Jun 14, 2011, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Very easy to grow-even fast growing. Along the California coast I would even call this a xeric plant,capable of living on almost no hose watering once established. Mine was planted out three years~ ago..in a hard to reach hot spot. It's gone from gallon can to 5' in three years or so. Looks perfect on that skimpy watering.
They may never get to be C.australis species size,but its not a small plant. I have seen them about 20' tall with a few branches.

Positive brunnera On Oct 23, 2008, brunnera from Dewitt, MI wrote:

I found this plant in a local nursery and had to try it in a container on the deck. Part sun, and flowering plants in the same container. Its a gorgeous plant, though it got too big for the container I used. I'm going to try over-wintering it in my basement (here in Michigan). If it makes it I'll use a bigger container next spring.

Neutral greg_m On Apr 16, 2008, greg_m from Chandler, AZ wrote:

I just planted the Red Sensation in a large outdoor pot. The plant label is showing full sun, and little water. I also live in AZ, have the plant on South side. After two days, the leaves are turning green/yellow from Red. Not sure if I am overwatering or underwatering. Please help....

Positive meintsm On Apr 7, 2008, meintsm from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have 6 red sensation Cordylines in a raised planter bed. They are now almost a year old. They are east facing and get great morning sun. The afternoon sun in the desert would be too much for them. I have them irrigated and they like to be kept moist. They took the winter we have in Phoenix (what winter we have) quite well. Everyone who sees them comments on them. They are truly stunning plants. I have paired them with the sweet potato vines so the contrasting colors make them really "POP". I am looking forward to them blooming someday.

Neutral Kell On May 13, 2006, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very similar to C. Red Star but the leaves are more of a bronzy red than the red of Red Star.

Chandler, Arizona