Perilla 'Magilla Vanilla'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Perilla (per-IL-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Magilla Vanilla

Kingston, Oklahoma

Kilgore, Texas

Christiansted, Virgin Islands

On Apr 1, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I used to be partial to the purple-leaf strain, but after growing it once in pots I found it turned into a persistent annual weed. After more than a decade, I'm still weeding it out of the beds. It's very aggressive and outcompetes many perennials.

A pretty plant, but there are far too many other pretty plants that are less work. I'll never plant this again deliberately in any garden.

Coleus makes an excellent substitute, unless you want to eat it.

This species is highly toxic to many animals, including horses, cattle, goats, rats, mice, and hamsters. It is responsible for fatal livestock poisonings when it invades pasturage.

This plant's invasive behavior has alarmed many organizations concerned with preserving natural areas, inc... read more

On Feb 2, 2009, Wrightgardens from Plantersville, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

The breeder has dropped the plant from production as of May 2008. Future is unknown?

On Jan 16, 2007, Allison_FL from Dunedin, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Reading up on this plant I will have to say it is more Tropicals/Tender Perennials
At least in the warmer zones . Zones 8 and up can take cuttings or bring plant into GH or homes for winter.
Also I feel it grows well in Full Sun / Sun Partial Shade.
It is also in the same family as the Coleus family and grows and roots just like Coleus.
I am Blessed to have mine given to me by Steve. Thanks Steve ! It also had a slight sweet scent to it .
We have the same Coleuos plants growing now threw five years in the ground hope this does as well. !

On Jan 14, 2007, skaz421 from Wesley Chapel, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I've been growing Vanillas for a couple of years. They seem to do better in sunshine. They are extremely easy to propagate - put a broken branch in soil, and before long you have a new plant. Keep them short, until they fill out; otherwise, they develop brown spots on the creamy parts of the leaves.

On Aug 27, 2006, carrielamont from Milton, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my first year growing foliage plants! I love Vanilla although I see now that there are other Perillas also. It sits in semi-shade in a pot with sweet potato vines getting watered several times a week and it just keeps growing. We're both happy (the Perilla and I).