PlantFiles: Japanese Holly, Boxleaf Holly, Box-leaved Holly
Ilex crenata 'Soft Touch'

Family: Aquifoliaceae (a-kwee-foh-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ilex (EYE-leks) (Info)
Species: crenata (kre-NAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Soft Touch

Inconspicuous/none

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Provides winter interest

By ron_rothman
Thumbnail #1 of Ilex crenata by ron_rothman

Positive cube57 On May 12, 2012, cube57 from Alexandria, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I just planted about 20 of these around a flower bed and theyre holding up great. Absolutely no complaints.

Negative ngascapes On Nov 15, 2010, ngascapes from Norcross, GA wrote:

We plant thousands of plants a year and from my experience, Soft Touch Holly can be very tempermental, especially in large group plantings. Our latest was about 700 in which we lost 200. Mostly in group plantings around established Willow Oaks, however about a fourth were not. The beds we planted were ammended and slightly raised. I thought that maybe some were lost in the competition for water with the roots of the Willow Oaks, but not 30' from the trees. Now most of the time we used these they are spec'd on jobs and we can't change without real difficulties. If I have a choice on something similar it would be a Dwarf Yaupon Holly.

Negative hewhoisatpeace On Apr 12, 2010, hewhoisatpeace from Pendleton, SC wrote:

I used this plant frequently through a nursery I managed, it is a great size and form, but similar to helleri holly in water sensitivity. Even established plants can develop root rot easil.y from overwatering. Dwarf yaupon, which is very similar in all respects in appearanced, is as much better landscape plant, nearly indestructible in the home landscape.

Positive ron_rothman On Jul 16, 2006, ron_rothman from (Zone 6a) wrote:

we planted 10 of these last fall, and the ones that did well (6 of them) really look great. 2 of them had severe dieback (almost half the plant) over the winter, and had to be replaced. 2 others had enough dieback to warrant possible replacement--rather than wait for the new growth to fill in the dead areas.

Positive clairesn On May 26, 2006, clairesn from Germantown, TN wrote:

This shrub is popular in Memphis as a foundation and walkway border plant, and is used similarly to the Helleri cultivar. It stays low enough to not require heavy pruning under most windows and naturally has a nice, dense rounded shape. Mature specimens tend to be around 2.5 feet tall x 3 feet wide and take clipping well. Leaves are medium-dark green and glossy, with new spring growth a brighter lime green. It's supposed to have blackish berries on the female plants in the fall but I haven't noticed those yet on my plants. I pulled some overgrown azaleas out from our front beds and put in these hollies because this variety lives up to its name. The branches are flexible and the leaves are soft without barbs. It's very comfortable to weed around them in a flower bed. I've read on other sites that it's hardy to zones 5-6 but I can only vouch for the climate here, which is zone 7. I used to live in zone 5/6 St. Louis (300 miles up the Mississippi River) and never saw these shrubs there. I suspect this holly is more Southern than Midwestern.

Midland City, Alabama