PlantFiles: Ivy-Leaved Toadflax, Kenilworth Ivy, Climbing Sailor, Colisseum Ivy, Devil's Ribbon
Cymbalaria muralis

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Cymbalaria (sim-buh-LAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: muralis (mur-AH-liss) (Info)

Synonym:Linaria cymbalaria

Groundcovers

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Violet/Lavender

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By poppysue

Thumbnail #6 of Cymbalaria muralis by lunavox

By LawrenceM
Thumbnail #7 of Cymbalaria muralis by LawrenceM

Negative coriaceous On Mar 15, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

It's a pretty plant, but I'm reluctant to plant anything that's impossible to eradicate, or that spreads so very quickly. I've seen this acting as a weed and crowding out desirable perennials in gardens, and once you have it you have it forever.

This returns reliably in Z6a, and often considerably further north.

If you're tempted to plant this, consider planting one of the lower-growing species, like C. aequitriloba. Lovely on masonry. I'm still trialing it---it's reliably hardy here in Z6 and spreads with alarming speed, but I'm not yet sure if it outcompetes larger perennials.

Positive phenomena On Jun 23, 2013, phenomena from Federal Way, WA wrote:

I planted this lovely ivy in a pot last year, which wintered fine inside a shed. This year it spread outside the confines of the pot and found crevices to hide in on the patio and ornamental brick corner I have. It's beautiful, delicate and has a habit of growing away from the light once the flower stalk is fertilized. See my picture showing where it is thriving on my patio.

Negative lollysmom On Jun 8, 2013, lollysmom from Federal Way, WA wrote:

This darling little plant was brought to our garden in another container. I thought it sweet and allowed it to prosper. Six years later we are still trying to eradicate it from our rockeries. We have used weed killer and white vinegar every year and it is undaunted. It is a MONSTER invasive and will grow anywhere. Watch out - just sayin'

Positive in2art On May 13, 2013, in2art from Bellevue, WA wrote:

I love this dainty looking little groundcover! It is not dainty in performance though - it stays evergreen almost all year, it only gets killed back in really cold winters, but returns from seed again in the spring. Requires no maintenance or special treatment at all...who could ask more of a plant!?!

Neutral mrs_colla On Mar 25, 2012, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This vine came out of nowhere... I didn't plant it, and I don't care for it's rapid growth ... It is a little too vigorous for me. I have not tried to get rid of it, just pulled some out to control it, so I don't know if I even could get it all out if I wanted!

Positive nature_lover On Aug 30, 2009, nature_lover from Roseville, MI wrote:

I would not consider myself an accomplished gardener, but I recently landscaped an area in my backyard near my sliding glass doors. I planted toadflax ivy around stepping stones to achieve a more "natural ambiance." I am so pleased to report they are spreading and blooming beautifully in partial-shade--in fact, they seem to be foot-friendly and hearty little mounds of beauty. Highly recommend use around any rock or stone scapes or areas where low groundcover is desired.

Neutral holeth On Jun 19, 2009, holeth from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Although as much a misclassification as calling this an "ivy," I've also heard gardeners call this "Ivy Lobelia" as a common name. I had a hard time searching for it, both on Google & DG.

Positive LJeske On May 21, 2009, LJeske from Spangle, WA wrote:

Darling little trailing vine in Zone 5a/b. Have grown year after year in terra cotta containers on deck where it didn't have a chance to reseed. Ran across a packet of seeds saved from a few years ago and now have two flats of starts!! White flowering variety grew better and bloomed all season long in full sun but purple flowering variety preferred more shade.

Positive Levdrakon On Apr 25, 2009, Levdrakon from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Great little plant. I started mine from some cuttings and it's spread on its own ever since. It looks delicate but is really a little trooper. If I could, I'd build a stone wall just so this one could crawl all over it.

It loves to grow in places few other plants do. I've even got it coexisting and cascading out of some orchid pots where it has little more than decomposed bark to grow in.

Try using it as an under-planting with tall lanky plants that look bare at the bottom.

Neutral hamptonguy5 On Jul 24, 2008, hamptonguy5 from Southampton, NY wrote:

I tried this 2 years ago from a local nursery...started it in one pot andI have spread/divided it now into 2 other pots. Next year I want to plant some in a raised garden that has a 3 ft high wall so that it cascades. It is delicate but it did self seed this spring. I find this is one ground cover that needs to cascade.

Positive Susan_C On Jun 2, 2008, Susan_C from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant appeared on its own in my garden. It makes a charming, small-scale groundcover and blooms happily in the shade. It is best planted somewhere where it can be viewed close up in order to best appreciate the flower details and the pretty scalloped leaves. -I think it would be a lovely addition to a fairy garden.

Positive Jootsey On Feb 8, 2008, Jootsey from Oconto, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

Love this plant, but it has now wandered under a clematis, so I will be trying to send it back "home" this spring. It grows on a stone wall and looks like a green veil. The flowers are the tiniest and prettiest blue-violet. Needs very little attention.

Positive seedpicker_TX On Jun 5, 2007, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Love this plant, and it is so flexible. It looks good as a cascading hanging basket plant, a paver stone plant, or can even climb, like a vine.
It seeds heavily(if it bloomed heavily), and roots easily from cuttings, or especially easy from layering.
The color of the flowers tend to be more purple tinted in cooler weather, and can pale in hot weather.
This is evergreen for me all year, except for the end of summer when it can succumb to prolonged 100 degree days. It picks back up from seedlings and is back in full force again, in early Fall.

Positive mygardens On Oct 17, 2006, mygardens from Croton-on-Hudson, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this plant. It adds such fine detail and color to rough stone areas. We started this plant in early spring this year from a cutting on a friend's wall. We were given a small section that had rooted. It needed to be nursed a bit as it was very tiny and delicate and we could not let it dry out. Once it was growing on it's own we planted it on our wall and it grew very quickly. It is on a sunny wall facing west but is shaded in the late afternoon. We do have irrigation from our pond so it is well watered, but our friend's wall is shaded and is watered only when it rains.

Neutral lupinelover On May 5, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Self-sows abundantly where happy. Tends to bloom itself to death. Difficult to transplant except when very young.

Neutral Lilith On May 4, 2002, Lilith from Durham
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Lilac, Snapdragon-like flowers, backed by broad, lobed, glossy leaves make this a charming plant. In full sun, stems, stalks and the base of flowers have a pruple tinge which is lacking in shady places. Long stalks hold flowers clear of the foliage, but in fruit, curve around to bury the seeds in crevices.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 31, 2001, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Best grown in average, medium wet, well-drained soil in part shade to full shade. Indigenous to southern Europe and is most comfortable in Mediterranean-type climates (cool summers and moderate winters)... a preference which hardly fits the profile of typical St. Louis weather where it can struggle. Generally intolerant of high heat and humidity.

Alameda, California
Provo, Utah
Leesburg, Virginia
Bellevue, Washington
Chimacum, Washington
Federal Way, Washington (2 reports)
Seattle, Washington (2 reports)
Spangle, Washington