Ninebark 'Mindia'

Physocarpus opulifolius

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Physocarpus (fy-so-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: opulifolius (op-yoo-lih-FOH-lee-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Mindia
Additional cultivar information:(PP16271, aka VP004, Coppertina Mindia, Coppertina)
Hybridized by Zaias

Newport News, Virginia

Shoreline, Washington

New Lisbon, Wisconsin

On Jun 8, 2014, KariGrows from New Lisbon, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am very disappointed with my Coppertina Ninebarks, I have 3 , plus one Diablo. They are in a similar area , and the Coppertinas have taken turns looking sickly ,but they have grown some, and look about to bloom with sporadic blooms.They started out the same size but are now three different sizes. On the other hand, the Diablo is beautiful with very little attention at all..
My Coppertina's start out the beautiful copper color but it is spoiled by black fungal leaves after winter and later white mildew. Also , the time of copper color is short and here in June , they are already the color of the Diablo. I am going to post the best looking Coppertina for this year.
I wish I had bought 4 Diablos.

On Dec 29, 2012, CrowMeris from Greene, NY wrote:

Beautiful, beautiful shrub. This was the first year that mine flowered; the lovely clusters of pale rose really stood out against the copper/apricot/burgundy foliage.
I've not had any problems with this shrub. I had it in a large container on my deck for the first year; this is its second year in the ground.
The unique peeling bark and the flowers are a bonus, but I would highly recommend it for the foliage alone.

On Nov 16, 2008, victorgardener from Lower Hudson Valley, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Had this for about three years now and really like it. Added a few more. I prefer the flowers and new foliage color to Summer Wine, which I also have. Otherwise, they are similar. They can get leggy, but I am doing pinching/cutting to promote more bushiness. The fall color is nice. It's a great plant to pair with bright blooms or silver or gold foliage. A winner!

On Jun 22, 2008, pattybotanic from Lansdale, PA wrote:

I have the Coppertina, Diablo and Dart's Gold. All are easy to grow and provide lots of color. The bark peels off in an interesting textural way and the red seed pods that follow the white flowers are bright and jolly.

A fabulous plant.

On Sep 20, 2007, mrs_colla from Marin, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Very similar to his "brothers" Diabolo and other purple leaf ones.
Leaves emerge copper colour and go green after a while.
Very easy plant, very beautiful. Mine is planted next to the Diabolo. ( don't know how to type the trademark sign...)
Keep pinching him for a fuller, bushier look. Grows fast but can be contained by pinching. Responds very well to it.