Moss Rose, Rose Moss
Portulaca grandiflora 'Giant Jewel'

Family: Portulacaceae
Genus: Portulaca (por-tew-LAK-uh) (Info)
Species: grandiflora (gran-dih-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Giant Jewel

Winter Springs, Florida

Bristol, Tennessee

Memphis, Tennessee

Lewisville, Texas

On Feb 26, 2012, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I saw this on the Dave's Garden's bloom of the day photos. I have it coming up from seeds in a planter that has had Portulaca planted in it the past two years. However I never had this variety. I imagine it came from seeds that were in the plants I planted. The flowers really stand out and are a bit larger than typical Portulaca flowers. I also like the way it is sprawling out and now creeping over the side of the planter, imagine it would be great in a hanging basket. I plant Portulaca in this planter in the summer months since it is in full sun and only gets rain water or hand watering, which this plant does very well with those conditions. It does great in the hot humid summer's but will decline once the winter sets in. It sometimes re-seeds as this particular plant did.

On Jul 17, 2011, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a regular in my garden. Sometimes it comes back, most times, it doesn't. Luckily, easy to find in my area. Such a great plant when temps hover in the high 90s.

On Sep 26, 2009, minphilic from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've only had it for a month now but the blooms keep coming and coming! They're in a planter in full afternoon sun and are doing quite well in the Texas heat. Deadhead to encourage continuous blooming.