PlantFiles: Hybrid Rose
Rosa 'Double Knock Out'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Double Knock Out
Additional cultivar information: (PP16202; aka Double Red Knockout, Radtko)
Hybridized by Radler; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by elefunt

By elefunt
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by elefunt

Positive MurrayTX On Nov 29, 2013, MurrayTX from El Paso, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

These grow very well in the brutal summer heat and mildly alkaline soils in this region. I have two that I planted in 2012 as 1.5 gallon pots that have gone from 8 inches this past winter to nearly 3x3 bushes in one season. I planted an addition three (2.5 gallon pots) this early summer that initially struggled in the blazing sun, but have recuperated and are also now roughly 3x3 and covered in blooms. I use a soaker hose, coffee grounds, and 3 inches of shredded city mulch. No pesticides or herbicides.

Positive sunshimmer On May 23, 2013, sunshimmer from Shamokin, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have 24 bushes of these. They are fabulous! I prune them down to just 8-10in sticks in early april because of our harsh winters here (zone 6) do some cane damage and I like to keep mine in the 2 1/2-3ft height range. By late May every year they are usually 3ft tall covered in buds and beginning to bloom. I don't provide winter protection for them as they are on a very windy slope that I can't keep any thing on them without being blown away. I think the pruning every year is what makes them come back even more vigorous and beautiful each year. I also prune them after each flush of blooms to keep them lower and tidy with more blooms. No problems, very healthy, and they are spectacular along walkways as a hedge.

Positive coastalzonepush On May 10, 2012, coastalzonepush from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

easy to grow, colorful, blooms year round, fast growing, hardy, drought tolerant, tolerant of many conditions/soils/exposures, evergreen (here) ---the list of positives goes on for this beautiful rose. a major plus to any garden, and definitely a good choice if you're looking for a super versatile bang-for-your-buck plant.

Positive OldPerfessor On May 4, 2012, OldPerfessor from Hazard, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

A nice rose bush that does very well. Unlike other folks here, I have NOT found it Japanese Beetle proof. However a little spray pesticide does very well on it. I cut it back this year (it was getting too tall) and it has done exceptionally well so far this Spring. Covered currently w/blooms and buds. Only other downfall to this rose is it has the typical hybrid plant "non-fragrant".

Positive CCPikie On Aug 19, 2011, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

A very nice rose. Immune to disease in my rosebed. Very cold hardy with almost no winter dieback. Color is a bright cherry red. Unlike most of my roses, it's not bothered by Japanese Beetles. I used two of these to replace hybrid teas which did poorly every year despite high maintainance. Glad I did.

Positive eagerwatchdog On May 27, 2010, eagerwatchdog from Berwyn, IL wrote:

I live in zone 5, 10 miles off downtown Chicago,; it's very windy in our place. I tried several roses, paid a lot on them but I was very frustrated because they either die or just won't give me the flowers I want. I tried this particular rose, the RED DOUBLE KNOCKOUT and the PINK DOUBLE KNOCKOUT. I am more than pleased to have them! These roses are perpetual heavy bloomer, very disease resistant and don't need a lot of care! They stand the Chicago wind as well. I uploaded pictures of these beauties so you can judge them for yourself.

Positive WMorgan On May 16, 2010, WMorgan from Medford, NJ wrote:

Probably one of the easiest plants to grow, with virtually no upkeep. Not as tall as I like, but produces blooms perpetually.

Positive Debbie2007 On Sep 2, 2009, Debbie2007 from Port Vincent, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Absolutely wonderful plant. After trying about 50 other different types of roses, and growing discouraged because of the diseases associated with Southern grown roses, I finally found this one. I planted 21 around a palm tree and found out quickly that I should have spaced them at least 4 ft apart. I also planted 2 together in another bed, about 1 foot apart. Never do this, because they each like their own space. I personally like to keep them pruned to about 2 1/2 ft all around. They seem to be fuller for me that way. They bloom constantly from spring to fall. I was even able to have a vase of roses on my table in November. They actually look like a Hybrid Tea, which I love. I am adding the Pink Double Knockout and the Sunny Knockout to my collection. What a joy to know I will have blooms all the time while experimenting with other plants.

Positive sswart On Jul 3, 2008, sswart from Cape Girardeau, MO wrote:

I started with the original Knockouts (one of which is 5 feet wide and 5.5 feet tall, progresses to Double Knockouts, and this year added two Double Pink Knockouts. The don't get blackspot, they don't need constant watering, and they grow thick and well. Three years ago I also bought one of Wm. Radler's other roses, Ramblin' Red, a hearty climber and constant flowerer that's disease resistant. The only drawback is that none of the above are fragrant, but they look great in a landscape and are nearly care-free.

Neutral ppinnc On May 20, 2008, ppinnc from Winston Salem, NC wrote:

We have 3 of the double red Knockouts planted in afternoon sun that are flourishing in our new Davidson County, NC landscape, They are irrigated but are given no other attention except for occasional deadheading. We also have 6 of the dark red singles w/ yellow centers that are not doing well. They get morning sun and are also irrigated, but they have black spot , aphids and are being eaten by either deer or rabbits. This is our first full summer here so I will give the singles a chance through this summer w/ extra care and if they don't look better, they will be moved or replaced.

Positive stormyla On May 14, 2008, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have 8 of these throughout my very large flower bed. Everyone is flourishing whether in deep or light shade or full sun!! The bloom color is an electric reddish fuschia and really stands out in the shadier sections of the bed.

Positive Shirley1md On Oct 27, 2006, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Bred in United States (2004) by William J. Radler.
Introduced in United States (2004) by Conard-Pyle (Star Roses).
Parentage: Seedling of Carefree Beauty Seedling of Razzle Dazzle (Floribunda, Fryer, 1997)

Positive venu209 On Oct 4, 2006, venu209 from Jersey Shore, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

A workhorse in the garden with very little care. Best description of color would be magenta.

Positive vossner On Jun 12, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I adore this rose. Has all the wonderful attributes of the single knockouts, but with double flowers! Non-stop bloomer, disease resistant, vigorous grower. Not fragrant.

Gaylesville, Alabama
Georgetown, Texas
Grand Prairie, Texas
Lubbock, Texas
Port Arthur, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Spring, Texas