Dwarf Palmetto, Bluestem Palmetto, Blue Palm 'McCurtain'

Sabal minor

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sabal (SAY-bal) (Info)
Species: minor (MY-nor) (Info)
Cultivar: McCurtain

Belle Vernon, Pennsylvania

Fayetteville, Pennsylvania

Greencastle, Pennsylvania

On Nov 15, 2013, TDogg77 from Belle Vernon, PA wrote:

I planted two of these palms in the spring of 2012. They took some damage in their first winter in ground but retained a significant amount of green foliage. The plants recovered quickly and looked good by summer.

Hopefully the plants have acclimated and will do even better this year. I definitely recommend heavy mulching and wind protection for zone 6 in year one and perhaps beyond. Good palm to try in this zone. I believe long term it can do well.

On Nov 4, 2011, SuburbanNinja80 from Plainfield, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This palm has to be slowest than rest of my sabal minor palms. It will be a good house palm until it its full adult leaves.

2014 winter was a really bad evey palm was burned and have to restart growing leaves but this palm was under a rose cone and it lived I hope.

On Feb 19, 2010, hardyinokc from Oklahoma City, OK wrote:

Planted one of these at my mother's house in NW OK (zone 6). it has done great without any protection & minimal mulching. Have not lost a single leaf to cold.

On Jan 21, 2008, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

Sabal minor "McCurtain" appears to be hardier than the typical Sabal minor, in my Wilmington, Delaware garden. I have several "McCurtains" and have yet to see any winter damage on the leaves, whereas regular Sabal minors have gotten their leaves scorched if planted with no winter cover.

On Feb 12, 2007, Hikaro_Takayama from Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I bought 2 one gallon sized specimens from Gerry's Jungle and planted them in my yard this past spring.

This winter, we've had three nights where the low got below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, two of which it got down to near 0, yet these palms (which both still have the juvennile strap leaves) suffered NO damage, despite the low temps occurring during two weeks of sub-freezing temperatures (it finally got above freezing today). I think that this palm could easily become naturalized in Zone 6, and I'd reccomend it to anybody.

As an additional plus, rabbits, deer and other animals WON'T eat it, unlike many of my other evergreen plants.

The only drawback is that it grows rather slow, so I'd reccomend getting at least a 3 gallon plant (about the size t... read more

On Jun 14, 2006, sylvainyang from Edmond, OK wrote:

A native palm from McCurtain County of Oklahoma, 50 miles away of northern Texas. Cold hardy record is -24 F in Wichita Kansas. It never grow a trunk but stays green in extreme freeze a perfect edge plant or shrub plant. Slow grow.