Crepe Myrtle, Crape Myrtle
Lagerstroemia 'Gamad I'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lagerstroemia (la-ger-STREEM-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Gamad I
Additional cultivar information:(PP16917; Razzle Dazzle series, aka Cherry Dazzle)
Hybridized by Dirr
Registered or introduced: 2005
» View all varieties of Crepe Myrtles

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Patented

Inman, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Rowlett, Texas

On Sep 7, 2010, suentommy from Souderton, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The Cherry Dazzle Crape Myrtle is a wonderful plant. It has beautiful, shiny dark green leaves tinged with a little red. In growth habit it almost looks like Kurume Azaleas and many people stopped and asked me in August if the plants I have lining my drive are azaleas and "How did I get them to bloom this time of year?". They still have red blossoms on them now when most of my other crape myrtle trees have finished flowering for the year. They also do not seem to be too fussy and have weathered a 3 month long summer drought very well. I water their beds twice a week. I have had them in the ground for four years and have had no winter die back and they are now about two and a half feet high and three feet wide. They add a lot to the landscape and require very little care. Great plant... read more

On Jul 10, 2010, rkwright85 from Horton, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I live in southern MI (zone 5) and have one of these outside doing fine. It does die-back most of the way every year but it makes a nice perennial and still flowers.

On Dec 9, 2008, HortTiger from Inman, SC wrote:

This is a compact heavy bloomer that tolerates neglect very well.