Cigar Flower, Firecracker Vine, Candy Corn Vine
Manettia luteorubra

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Manettia (man-ET-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: luteorubra (loo-tee-oh-ROO-bruh) (Info)
Synonym:Manettia inflata

Egypt, Texas

La Porte, Texas

Pewaukee, Wisconsin

On Feb 15, 2014, seehorce from Carmichael, CA wrote:

I have had this plant in a pot for 10 years now. I'm in zone 9b so I have to be careful. I bring the plant in from the outdoors around November (otherwise the frost turns the leaves red, then brown and it dies) and stick it back outside in March. During our extreme summer days I leave it in the shade as 109 degree temps turn the leaves brown and crispy and then the vines dry up and die. This plant requires diligent maintenance to ensure growth and happiness if you're growing it outside the recommended hardiness zone. Hummingbirds absolutely love this plant and if you think you've killed it try watering it a bunch and it might just come back.

On Mar 4, 2013, plantshopper from Portland, OR wrote:

I bought a small 3" pot Spring 2012, didn't grow super fast but is a steady flowering vine, don't let it dry TOO much, and likewise it doesn't want to be soggy. I simply brought it indoors (Portland is cool and too wet in the winter) and it was fine in a sunny window, took a rest mid winter and with mild fertilizer it's already blooming and growing again in March. Mine is about 4' tall and dense, I just repotted it. Easy to grow and very interesting small flowers, hasn't had any bug problems.

On Jun 5, 2011, Yankeechick from Rogers, AR wrote:

My daughter has had excellent results growing this in Alaska and I am now trying it in Arkansas. I am so hoping it grows as well for me as it has for her and others!

On Jun 27, 2010, DonnaOH from Hamilton, OH wrote:

My Manettia Luteorubra, Candy Corn Vine is growing but no "candy corn". I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

DonnaOH

On Apr 24, 2010, dermoidhome from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

Lovely vine, that behaves well, but did not survive our record cold winter in Baton Rouge, LA (8A)

On Dec 14, 2008, rntx22 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Blooms constantly. Survived the snow we had here 5 days ago!

On May 1, 2006, pineapplesage from Pewaukee, WI wrote:

I grew this in a container on my deck last year. It grew about 6 ft up a beam. It is easy to grow & flowers continuosly until frost. My kids loved it and so did the hummingbirds.

On Oct 11, 2005, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I bought this plant at an early spring home and garden show. It only had 3 short trailing stems about 3-4 inches long and it was in a 2 inch pot. I repotted it into a 6 inch pot and then about a month later into a 10 inch pot. It is now mid October and needs to go into a much larger pot. I have a 4ft. topiary frame that I made for it and it has completely covered the frame and has been blooming nonstop since I bought it. It will be coming inside soon for the winter as I am in zone 6 but I am hoping to keep it going through the winter so that it is ready for my hummers when they return in the spring as they just loved it.

Penny

On Aug 16, 2005, zarcanat from Montreal, QC (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very easy to grow here in full sun but make sure it does not run out of water since it causes leaves tip burn.

On May 13, 2005, lwalters from Humble, TX wrote:

I planted two small plants that I obtained from a small nursery in Kingwood, Tx. (just north of Houston) about a year ago and transplanted them into a large clay pot using normal commercial potting soil. I sat them next to a swing arbor and provided them a trellis to climb on. They went nuts! They are the most wonderful and pleasing plant I have ever had any dealings with. This thing has bloomed since day one...slowed periodically, but never stopped. A little Osmocote is applied infrequently. During the winter (down to the mid twenties for short periods of time) I simply covered it with sheets, removing it upon warm-up. I am so glad to hear that I can propogate it from cuttings.

On May 24, 2004, cplate2775 wrote:

This is a beautiful plant. I am growing two of them in Mexico. I have found that it is extremely sensitive to hot, direct sunlight. If growing in a hot, sunny climate, it will appreciate shaded areas. I almost lost them, but they are coming back quite well now in the shade. It is also somewhat sensitive to over-watering and over-fertilizing.

On Mar 4, 2004, swabby64 wrote:

grew from small plant purchased at the Pontiac, Michigan farmers' market. Transferred to larger 20 in pot with a 4 foot trellis and away she went. Grew till late october on my deck - in Waterford, Michigan - northwest Detroit.

On Feb 23, 2003, aym wrote:

This is a simple and easy vine to grow. It will cover a small structure in one summer. I take cuttings in late August and then grow the vine in the house over the Winter.