Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Axonopus (aks-ON-oh-pus) (Info)
Species: compressus (kom-PRESS-us) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

Gainesville, Florida

positive

On Oct 11, 2011, alfu from Gainesville, FL wrote:

When this tough native grass first appeared in a no-longer irrigated, sunbaked southern-exposed yard, its long runners, each terminating in an obnoxious, upward and outward-reaching inflorescence, made me think it was crabgrass -- and maybe it is. But my initial fears have evolved to admiration: it chokes out weeds and responds to our hottest, driest days with a rich, soft deep green turf that develops in the middle of the ever-expanding patch. I use my slingblade rather than my human-powered reel mower for its high peripheral seed shafts, but the established middle seems quite mowable and has fewer of them.

I have usually sneered at 'lawn' as being inept at building biomass and reclaiming desert, but in light of our current drought in north central Florida, I am in awe ... read more

On Jan 3, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Broadleaf Carpetgrass Axonopus compressus is native to Texas and other States.