PlantFiles: Broadleaf Carpetgrass
Axonopus compressus

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Axonopus (aks-ON-oh-pus) (Info)
Species: compressus (kom-PRESS-us) (Info)

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

By alfu
Thumbnail #1 of Axonopus compressus by alfu

Positive alfu On Oct 11, 2011, alfu from Gainesville, FL wrote:

When this tough native grass first appeared in a no-longer irrigated, sunbaked southern-exposed yard, its long runners, each terminating in an obnoxious, upward and outward-reaching inflorescence, made me think it was crabgrass -- and maybe it is. But my initial fears have evolved to admiration: it chokes out weeds and responds to our hottest, driest days with a rich, soft deep green turf that develops in the middle of the ever-expanding patch. I use my slingblade rather than my human-powered reel mower for its high peripheral seed shafts, but the established middle seems quite mowable and has fewer of them.

I have usually sneered at 'lawn' as being inept at building biomass and reclaiming desert, but in light of our current drought in north central Florida, I am in awe of the transformation this grass is bringing to my 'Florida Friendly' landscape.

This may be common, rather than broadleaf, carpetgrass. (Search this site for "carpergrass" to find it)

Neutral frostweed On Jan 3, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Broadleaf Carpetgrass Axonopus compressus is native to Texas and other States.

Gainesville, Florida