Californian Firecracker Plant
Dichelostemma ida-maia

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Dichelostemma (dy-kel-OH-stem-uh) (Info)
Species: ida-maia (EYE-da MAY-a) (Info)
Synonym:Brodiaea coccinea

Tangent, Oregon

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Magna, Utah

On May 24, 2013, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

When I bought these bulbs, I gave them a couple of years to see what they can do. They bloomed those 2 or 3 years I had them but they didn't multiply and the flowers were puny. They weren't even that tall and the color wasn't quite what I thought. I traded them away. HOWEVER, 2 years later and I have one that just popped up out of nowhere. Seems as though I forgot about one or missed it when digging it up. The color is brilliant and I quite like it. The flowers are bigger but I don't see how the hummers can spot them unless you have a good sized clump of them. I would like to keep this one and see how it does.

On May 18, 2010, nutsaboutnature from Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I purchased ten of these from Brent and Becky's for planting in Autumn 2009 with hopes they might be another flower for the Hummingbirds to enjoy. I planted them in full sun.

This Spring they all came up & are now starting to bloom. They look just like the pictures on their website!! In fact, I like them so much that I plan to order more! Since they are just beginning to bloom, I can't comment yet whether my hummers like them, but even if they don't, I will still buy more.

They are a light, airy addition to my garden bed that will look great growing around & through other bulbs, perennials & annuals.

Update 7/21/11: I have now grown this unique bulb for two seasons and can definitely say the Hummingbirds in my yard seem to love it. I pla... read more

On Jun 21, 2006, penpen from North Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I sowed the corms of this plant in 2004. In 2005 A couple of sprigs of grasslike leaves came up but then that was the end of it. This year (2006) I have two very nice bushy 2 1/2 ft. tall plants that I hope to see bloom for the first time this year. I hope that they are as attractive to my hummers as I have read that they are but even if they aren't, they look to be a nice addition to the garden. I made the original purchase from Breck's Bulbs and like all the bulbs I ordered from them they were too small to do anything for a couple of years.

On Oct 6, 2004, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Survives drought during dormancy. Needs regular water while growing and blooming.

On Apr 27, 2004, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Native to Mendocino County, California north to Oregon; found at the edges of woods. Drought tolerant and attractive to hummers and other birds.

On Mar 3, 2003, octofad wrote:

I planted corms of this plant in September 2002 - by December they were about an inch high and at time of writing (March 3 2003) leaves are about six inches with flower buds forming between them at the base of the plants. Compost is a sandy potting mix, and the plants are in full sun; water is given moderately and they seem to be thriving so far. I cannot find detailed cultural instructions about this plant.