Flame Acanthus, Hummingbird Bush, Texas Firecracker Plant

Anisacanthus quadrifidus

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Anisacanthus (uh-niss-uh-KAN-thus) (Info)
Species: quadrifidus (kwad-RIF-ee-dus) (Info)

Blooms all year

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Ojai, California

Tustin, California

Wilmington, Delaware

Bossier City, Louisiana

Andrews, Texas

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Austin, Texas (3 reports)

Beaumont, Texas

Bulverde, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Desoto, Texas

Elkhart, Texas

Flint, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Gainesville, Texas

Georgetown, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

Mcallen, Texas

Midland, Texas

New Caney, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (4 reports)

Waxahachie, Texas

Wichita Falls, Texas

On Aug 8, 2013, Condors from Meiners Oaks, CA wrote:

I've grown this plant in Corpus Christi, Texas and it was a great bloomer. I now grow it in Ojai, California, inland from Ventura, about 60 miles north of LA. Here it blooms only in late July to early August, then it's finished for the year. This time of the year we have five species of hummingbird in the garden so usually an Allen's or rufous will stake it out and defend it. Again, though, I'm disappointed in the length of blooming.

On Aug 18, 2008, Ladybeetle from zone 7, TX wrote:

My plants are 18" tall and in their second year on the north side of the fence. They get all morning fullsun till about noon. Great drainage and have a soaker hose behind them so they
get moisture from that. My problem has been that I've only seen 1 weeks worth of blooms and that was last year! They havent bloomed yet as of August 17, 2008. I don't feed them but have organic mulch around them. They look quite healthy, but I'm afraid they arent growing much.I'm in way North Texas.

On Jan 21, 2008, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have been able to grow this southwestern plant as a perennial in Wilmington, Delaware (Zone 7a). I planted it along my south-facing foundation, in full sun and in soil with good drainage. To minimize winter damage, I do not cut it back at all in the fall or winter. I wait for new growth to appear in spring before I trim any dead branches off. So far, it dies back to within a foot of the groung each winter but re-grows to about 4 feet tall each summer.

On Nov 22, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Flame Acanthus, Hummingbird Bush, Texas Firecracker Plant Anisacanthus quadrifidus is Endemic to Texas.

On Oct 25, 2003, kayleebug from Elkhart, TX wrote:

This plant grows great here and reseeds itself like mad. I have young plants growing all around the plant.

On Sep 8, 2003, AusTXpropagater from Austin, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

In zones 8 & 9, in Texas, Anisacanthus freezes back in winter, but not all the way to the ground. It can become spindly if grown in shade -- needs occasional sheering to promote dense growth. Its brittle stems need protection from passers-by. Hummingbirds love this plant -- be careful that neighborhood cats don't take up ambush positions underneath it. I have grown it satisfactorily both from cuttings and from seed. The seeds dehisce (release from the pod) somewhat explosively (as do other members of the acanthus family). When dry, press the flat sides of the pod firmly and it will pop open as if spring loaded. A pod contains no more than 2 disc-shaped seeds.

On May 28, 2003, taltos from Tustin, CA wrote:

Supposed to be only 4-6 ft. high - it's currently about 10-12 ft high and still going strong.