Flowering Crabapple
Malus 'Sugar Tyme'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Malus (MAY-lus) (Info)
Cultivar: Sugar Tyme
Additional cultivar information:(PP7062; aka Sutyzam, Milton Baron No. 1)
Hybridized by Zampini

Lisbon Falls, Maine

Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Traverse City, Michigan

On Jan 2, 2015, garydavid from Lisbon Falls, ME wrote:

I live in Lisbon Falls, Maine and to the best of my knowledge I planted my tree sometime around 2004. I wanted something that would blossom as much as possible and this tree has more than fulfilled my wildest dreams. What maintenance I've did on it, except at the beginning, amounts to only pruning it. It faces south and has full sun till late afternoon. It has a group of maples on the west side but that has only prevented from growing perfectly straight. I hesitated pruning it for many years because of the many blossoms but now that it's of good size I prune it yearly. It attracts mainly cedar waxwings, robins and cardinals when I can catch them. The waxwings and robins stay for many hours eating the berries. I have photos of it in blossom in both deep red thena few days later in red and w... read more

On Mar 6, 2011, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted two twenty feet apart. One is doing fine, one sickened and died after 3 years. The one remaining sent out an assymetrical side branch I had to lop off. After 5 years the remaining foliage is about 8 ft tall and 7 ft wide.

On Oct 25, 2009, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

Editor's Note

Plant Patent number 7062 has expired

On Apr 29, 2007, ViburnumValley from Scott County, KY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Sugar Tyme crabapple is absolutely one of the top 10 standard size crabapples for the Ohio River valley region and probably most of the midwest.

Heavy annual white flowers, crisp green disease free foliage, good fall color in yellows and oranges, and persistent small red fruit all winter all make this a crabapple truly for all seasons.

On Jun 27, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

We planted one of these this spring (2006). I chose it because it is rated as having excellent disease resistance. The information I obtained on it says it is an upright, oval, deciduous tree which typically grows 14-18' tall and to 12-15' wide. Pale pink buds open to fragrant, single, white flowers (1" diameter) in spring. Flowers are followed by masses of small, glossy, red crabapples (to 1/2" diameter) which mature in the fall and persist well into the winter. The fruits are attractive to birds. Slender, ovate, serrate, dark green leaves.