Zinnia 'Zowie Yellow Flame'

Zinnia elegans

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Zinnia (ZIN-ya) (Info)
Species: elegans (ELL-eh-ganz) (Info)
Cultivar: Zowie Yellow Flame
Registered or introduced: 2005

Flowers are good for cutting

Not Applicable

North Ridgeville, Ohio

North Augusta, South Carolina

Menasha, Wisconsin

On May 9, 2012, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased my Zowie Zinnia seeds from Fedco Seeds. They grew into really big, gorgeous, healthy plants, full of beautiful blooms. This plant grew very well in nutrient-poor, sandy soil. It was heat and drought tolerant as well. One seed will grow a huge plant that is 35 inches tall and 25 inches wide.

On Aug 29, 2011, flowerfarmerscott from Wyldwood, TX wrote:

This is one of the very rare flowers that looks better than the pictures. I grow flowers for cutting and the stems are much shorter than those of the Benary's Giant and Giant Dahlia Flowered zinnias but they are really nice, compact plants that should be swell for the home gardener's beds and little cut bunches.

On Aug 18, 2009, SusanLouise from Lincoln, NE (Zone 5b) wrote:

I don't think I can sing enough praise about this plant. We've had over 30 varieties of butterflies in our garden this year. All but a very few nectared on these beautiful blooms! They also topped at over 3' tall and as the blooms turned to seed, the Goldfinches were all over them. I will go so far as to say that this is in the top 5 plants for our butterfly and hummingbird gardens. I will plant them year after year!

On Jul 27, 2009, mjsponies from DeLand/Deleon Springs, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This has been a real trooper in our Florida heat and humidity this year. The Butterflies and Hummers love it !

On Aug 5, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I love Zowie! Gorgeous! Have to make sure I get it and have lots of it planted in my yard every year. Butterflies love it and today, I noticed today that it attracted a Hummer to it!

My favorite Zinnia to grow!

On Feb 3, 2007, sarv48 from south of Grand Rapids, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Bloomed all summer. Blooms lasted a long time on the plant. Definately a keeper for me!! Collected seed, so we'll see if it comes true...sure hope so!

On Aug 29, 2006, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I did not find the flowers to come out looking properly consistently. They also lose appeal as they age and become 'looser'. I have seen others ones looking nice at other places - so maybe I'll try again.

On Jun 29, 2006, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

2006 AAS winner. Has a bi-color pattern with scarlet center and yellow petal edges. Easy to grow from seed. A study from the University of Maryland found that this zinnia lasts up to 2 weeks as a cut flower. It is a semi-double bloom.