Firecracker Plant, Firecracker Flower
Crossandra infundibuliformis 'Orange Marmalade'

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crossandra (kros-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: infundibuliformis (in-fun-dih-bew-LEE-for-mis) (Info)
Cultivar: Orange Marmalade

Princeton, Texas

On May 16, 2013, DorneAnn from Puerto Plata
Dominican Republic wrote:

Dominican Republic, zone 11-12
When buying my first few Crossandra plants I researched the internet on conditions of growth. Mostly sites said, shade, partial shade, indoor plants.
That is a load of rubbish!
Given those conditions the plants were not at all happy and certainly did NOT flower.
Then one day I saw a Crossandra plant in full sun in someone's garden. It was flowering profusely. So o.k. I would try the same thing. It worked! and in the DR sun, which being in the Caribbean is extremely hot. True they soak up the water like crazy but that's ok considering the flowering taking place, non stop.
They do seem subjected to mealy bug so that needs attention. Otherwise they are one of the greatest delights ive ever come across.
Since buying tho... read more

On Jul 29, 2012, jdaw from Taylorsville, NC wrote:

The Orange Marmalade is my new "favorite" flower this year, two of them sit on my front porch in white containers and they are beautiful, with weeks of temperatures near or above 100 degrees, with daily watering they have bloomed and stayed green and fresh looking beyond anything I could have imagined, where all of my other flowers have struggled, I will be adding more to my gardens next year.

On Jun 28, 2012, jewelsoftime from Big Spring, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have 2 of thesebeautiful plants on my porch and they have bloomed continuously since I bought them. I did have problems with aphids on one of them and used an organic spray twice to get rid of them and it recovered quickly. I do have to water frequently to keep them moist enough in my area. We have had 110 degree temps the past week and they have been unfazed as long as I keep them moist.

On Sep 13, 2008, _pjb_ from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have two of these plants, their gorgeous. I'm in zone 5. They kept blooming all summer and they are still getting new leaves and buds! They didn't need any fussing at all. Did great on my patio with late afternoon shade, I did put a fertilizer stick in their pot! I just potted them up to bring inside for the winter, I hope they make it to see my patio again next summer! They have such a bright and tropical look to them! I also had alot of compliments and inquires about them from those who seen them!