Ornamental Yam
Dioscorea discolor

Family: Dioscoreaceae
Genus: Dioscorea (dy-oh-SKOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: discolor (DIS-kol-or) (Info)

Green

New Waverly, Texas

Seadrift, Texas

Woodville, Texas

On Dec 6, 2010, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Last winter I was so bummed out to lose so many plants to 20* temps. Then this little sprout came up out of the hanging pot and just renewed my enthusiasm.
I believe ford3728 is talking about the air potato, Dioscorea bulbifera. Not a nice plant.

On Sep 1, 2007, Annette_M from New Waverly, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have this plant growing in a full, dry shade situation, in acid soil. I love the contrast of the leaves among my mostly green plants. It's very vigorous and requires very little care, but I have to keep it in check. It is trying to take over this particular bed.

On Oct 25, 2003, ford3728 from Homer, LA wrote:

This is an Indo-Malayan vine (the variety I have) and it is not variegated nor velvet/fuzzy. The leaves are bright green, shiny, and heart shaped. Everyone that sees it wants to know what it is and if I'll share it. I have never found a bloom on it and the potatoes form at the base of the leaf structure. The potatoes range in all sizes, sometimes soft ball size or larger. All sizes that I have planted will come up and grow, no matter how small. I gather the potatoes in the fall or when they sometimes fall off. They do fall very easily at the least bump. I keep them inside in a basket and in the spring they start sprouting so you know it is time to plant them. Unless you keep them in a cool place they may start sprouting before the last frost. In zone 8 where I live, they have neve... read more