Pagoda Flower
Clerodendrum paniculatum

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: paniculatum (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Clerodendrum paniculata

Deland, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Melbourne, Florida (2 reports)

Miramar Beach, Florida

Mulberry, Florida

Navarre, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Ocoee, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Riverview, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Sarasota, Florida

Bellaire, Texas

Lake Jackson, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Jul 29, 2015, yogaressa from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Just planted this plant 9 months ago and the flowers are spectacular, but it has not bushed out into the lovely specimens I've seen on this site. It's now about 5' tall, but the full-grown leaves shed constantly and the stem of the plant is long and spindly, so there are only flowers and leaves right at the top, the rest of the plant is bare.

It keeps sprouting new and healthy leaves and flower buds.The leaves are big and waxy and healthy looking for a few days, then they turn yellow and fall off. It looks terrible. I'll post a photo.

I've seen notes to give this plant a hard cutback, which we haven't done yet, since the plant is so new, but I'm wondering if that would help and if so, when to do it.

On Oct 31, 2014, carolstropicals from Bellaire, TX wrote:

May be pretty, but the spreading seeds which are making plants are not killable.
I finally dug up the mother tree due to this problem. There are babies all over this area. I have used roundup over and over - also dug the plants. They seem to have runners and pop up all over after spreading underground.
Today I had to dig up 2 small citrus trees. I was afraid I would kill them due to the round up.
I honestly don't know what to do but to use a stronger chemical which I hate. The entire bed is defiled by chemicals.
There is one pagoda variety with very large round leaves that I have in the front. It does not behave this way. Also has large red spiked flowers. Looks fairly the same but behaves.

On May 18, 2014, Kookyukie from Dorado
Puerto Rico wrote:

I have had Pagodas in my garden for more than 12 years, no care required. They go dormant in the rainy winter season in PR, but coming back now with full fury. Blooming gorgeous, they also don't seem to get eaten by snails or beetles. The only way to propogate them is to dig up runners, but they shock. Have patience and they will return if you dig them up carefully.

On May 4, 2014, deurotelle from Titusville, FL wrote:

I discovered several of these gorgeous plants growing on property bought last May in Central Florida (Titusville). It is stunning in bloom. It is deciduous, although some sites list it as an evergreen. I have rated this positive because it is so breathtaking, but have had only moderate success.

Last summer, the largest bloomed profusely, in full sun. Smaller ones had few blooms, in dappled shade. I transplanted 3, which are growing leaves now in May, but the big one is just sticks. I have trimmed off sections of the main stem, which was about 3 or 4 feet tall, and it was brittle and dry. Is it dead? Is it dormant?
Should I cut it back to the ground? I would hate to never see it again!

On Jul 26, 2013, EuniceMary from Lake Helen, FL wrote:

A very showy perennial plant with large cones of red trumpets. Bees, butterflies and hummingirds love it. Because of the height it is best planted at the rear of the garden or along a hedge. Excellent screen plant and seems to like sun or shade. I use mine to screen the potting area and compost pile. Be warned, it puts down very deep roots and can be hard to eradicate. I cut it back every year and pull out young shoots, but still have quite a show.

On Sep 22, 2012, stew7cox from Brooksville, FL wrote:

Little or no care required.
Grows well in Brooksville, Fl.
But you have to dig up the roots to contain its spreading.

On Apr 29, 2008, nanimadrina from Orlando, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant has grown to over 7 feet in my Orlando yard. Blooms profusely. Requires zero attention.

On Jul 7, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have been growing this plant for several years and it returns each Spring and blooms around July in my Zone 8b/9a garden. I have seen it in other gardens in my area grow to heighths of about 6 foot and form a nice mass of plants to create an impressive shrub with interesting "pagoda" pyramid shaped bright orange flowers. It seems to be less invasive than some of the other Clerodendrum species -- it produces offshoots from its roots, but only within the immediate area of the parent plant.

Jeremy