PlantFiles: Sangria Crinum Lily
Crinum 'Sangria'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Cultivar: Sangria

Bulbs

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

Burgundy
Shiny/Glossy-Textured

This plant is resistant to deer
Flowers are good for cutting

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #1 of Crinum  by TomH3787

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #2 of Crinum  by TomH3787

By Florida9
Thumbnail #3 of Crinum  by Florida9

Positive Florida9 On Jun 21, 2012, Florida9 from Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I obtained a small Sangria Crinum last year, and was hoping to see it bloom by next year. I thought it was pretty, and more importantly it is listed as deer resistant. Unfortunately, the local deer have decided that they like Crinum after all, as my posted picture shows. They have even eaten my neighbors decade-old giant Crinums. I still have high hopes that it will survive and bloom someday. It seems to be growing well here in 9B in full sun.
Update June 2013; This year I kept the Crinum sprayed and the deer left it alone. It grew beautifully and bloomed in the spring. I was thrilled with it, but then went on vacation for 3 weeks. A strong rain washed the plant clean of spray and I came home to a 6" stump. Hoping again for regrowth, but it is clear our deer love this plant more than others in the front beds.

Positive BJames1 On Oct 15, 2009, BJames1 from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

In my zone 8a garden, this is my favorite plant. I have yet to have it bloom after 2 years in the ground as a small bulb, but its beauty needs no flower to cement its place in my heart. Crinum 'Sangria' has succulent purple leaves that retain their magnificient color ALL SEASON LONG! Of course, older leaves do tend to exhibit a more green color. There is, however, always fresh growth to display its warming purple-leaved character. Due to its exceedingly cold hardy nature compared to other purple-leaved crinums, this is the only such crinum that will grow in my zone. Its richness, ease of growth, dependable presence, and promise for much anticipated return each year will keep it as a mainstay in my gardening life. And don't forget the future potential for flowers! Crinum 'Sangria' will bloom with age. Did I mention how I feel about this crinum? I "ABSOLUTELY" LOVE THIS PLANT!

Positive TomH3787 On Jul 8, 2006, TomH3787 from Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Quote from Plant Delights catalog: "This much sought-after crinum lily originated in 1983 as a cross of C. procerum 'Splendens' x an unknown C. bulbispermum (or hybrid). It was discovered as a seedling in the garden of the late Marcia Clint Wilson by Texan Scott Ogden. The dark purple, reflexed foliage makes a dramatic clump, topped in late spring and again in fall with 18" spikes of rosy pink flowers. Because of its C. bulbispermum parentage, C. 'Sangria' is much more winter hardy than other purple leaf crinums. Most of the material that is sold as C. 'Sangria' is simply C. procerum 'Splendens'."

Scott Ogden says that this crinum is slow to increase unless bulbs are sliced to induce multiplication. Hardy red-leafed seedlings can be produced using C. bulbispermum pollen on C. procerum 'Splendens'.

Anniston, Alabama