Silver Spurflower, Silvery Plectranthus, Brazilian Coleus

Plectranthus argentatus

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plectranthus (plek-TRAN-thus) (Info)
Species: argentatus (ar-jen-TAY-tus) (Info)

Light Blue

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Alameda, California

Gainesville, Georgia

Davenport, Iowa

Somerville, Massachusetts

On Jul 7, 2015, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I didn't even buy this showed up no doubt as a seedling in a botanical garden purchase. So,slightly invasive.

Durable,takes little water,but not none. Fits right in with Cactus and Succulent plantings as different.

And yes- reseeds all over. BUT! its not a fast grower. Easy to keep in bounds.

On Apr 30, 2015, jkorman from Fernandina Beach, FL wrote:

The cultivar Plectranthus 'Nancy Carter' over winters in Northeast Florida. It will overwinter better under protected canopy and part-sun conditions although it has come back under full-sun, open spaces.

On May 25, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I first grew this plant last year, ordering it from Select Seeds (which taught me to call it by the common name "Quicksilver"), and now I wouldn't want to be without it again. It's one of those plants that is a bit resentful of transplanting, and needs a little patience and tending for a short while afterwards. Don't worry; your efforts will be rewarded. After it adjusts to its new home, it will form a tough-stalked plant with big, fuzzy, silvery leaves that would be perfect in a children's garden. By the time frosts rolled around last year, this fairly tender plant had gotten so robust that even when its biggest leaves were damaged by light to medium frosts, it would then put out new leaves as soon as the temperature got above about forty degrees F again, and it didn't die until a har... read more

On Feb 27, 2003, DarwinESF from Syracuse, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Last spring a seedling of this plant from an unknown source started growing in my lavander cuttings, I've been trying to identify it for a long time, finally finding it online last month. The plant is the easiest I've ever started from cutting, pretty much all it takes is a small stem, they've rooted for me in just under a week in wet vermiculite. I have some large plants inside this winter, and they've been flowering anytime I let a shoot get long enough. I'm assuming they don't need pollinators to be fertilized, since I've been getting seeds from these flowerings as well. I've never let it in a garden i nthe summer (I've had it in pots) so I don't know about seed survivorship overwintering information. Anyway, it's an amazing looking plant, hope this is useful for someone.

On Nov 11, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This grows well in Zone 9 Nor. Cal coastal. Easily damaged by winds due to very brittle branches. Grows very fast but does not take transplanting well. Reasonably drought-resistant in good soil when mulched.