Mexican Giant Hyssop 'Acapulco Salmon & Pink'

Agastache mexicana

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Species: mexicana (meks-sih-KAY-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Acapulco Salmon & Pink
Additional cultivar information:(PP16023; aka Acapulco Salmon & Pink, Kiegabi)
Hybridized by Moonen
Registered or introduced: 2004

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Perris, California

Belton, Texas

Mc Lean, Virginia

Vancouver, Washington

On Dec 21, 2014, LizaR from Gap, PA wrote:

I agree with the post below, if you want agastache, get this one! It does have a heavy lemon smell. I planted about 10-15 along our front walk way and they smelled wonderful and kept the mosquitos away from our porch at night. They bloomed non-stop all the way up until frost. I bought them at an Amish greenhoure not knowing what they really were, but thinking the plant was interesting and pretty. Mine got about 2 1/2 feet. I cut about 3 inches off the tops when they were about 7 inches high to make them grow bushier and fuller, and this worked very well. Other than this they did not need any extra care. Easy grower and tolerated my poor soil. Absolutely love this plant and will be growing it every year.

On Jan 28, 2010, kimmy222 from Reading, PA wrote:

Phenomenal agastache. The smell is very strong. Like lemon Pledge. It literally blooms heavily AND non-stop. If you were to get only one agastache, GET THIS ONE. Not only is it gorgeous, but you can't beat the scent and number of blooms. Highly recommended!

On Oct 10, 2009, diawoods from Aurora, CO wrote:

This is the best agastache I have grown--the plant gets really large and full. Mine started blooming mid-July in Denver area and kept going until the snows in October. The stalks are strong and don't need staking. Hummers like it! Good color. I can't wait to see it next year. This was the second year. Didn't do too much the first year.

On Jun 2, 2009, tomato2 from Placitas, NM wrote:

I have tried probably 10 different cultivars of Agastache and this has done the best for me. It is winter hardy, not brittle, and flowers very nicely all summer in NM. Hummingbirds love it.

On May 4, 2009, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

Let me start by saying, I love this plant. The color.. the frangrance... everything about it! It is however, a tender perennial here in zone 6a. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way. The beautiful 2nd year plant you see in the pictures to the right is no more.

I took some internet advice and transplanted my Agastache last fall to a new location on the side of my house. I had planted several others there this past summer with plans to move this one in the fall. It never came back.

When left alone it comes back beautifully with no additional protection at all. If fact, the three plants that I left undisturbed are all coming back this year. Lesson learned!

On Jun 3, 2007, indiana_lily from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Very pretty pink and salmon color with a nice citrus scent.

On Jul 26, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Love this!!! Beautiful and colorful! Smell wonderful too! Hummers are also attracted! Growing it since Summer 2005. I give it a lean, well drained soil with sand and pea gravel on top. Don't cut back foliage til mid spring until you see new growth.