Agastache 'Red Fortune'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Fortune
Additional cultivar information:(PP11816)
Hybridized by Degenhardt
Registered or introduced: 1999
Synonym:Agastache mexicana

This plant is resistant to deer

Spring Valley, California

Marietta, Georgia

Hebron, Kentucky

Lima, Ohio

Albany, Oregon

Leesburg, Virginia

On Aug 30, 2011, cloud91977 from Spring Valley, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

The first year we had this one I didn't much care for it as the flowerheads were so thick and heavy, and the stems so fragile, that everyday there'd be more broken stems laying on the ground. Then I started cutting it to the ground in BOTH March and August. Now the plants still gets 2+ feet tall, but the stems are no longer breaking as the flowerheads are not getting as big around (or producing so much seed!)

Planted on a small mound in compost and decomposed granite ammended clay soil, this plant lives on winter rain and whatever garden water it can get from a nearby plant that is watered once a month. The bases of our plants are shaded by surrounding plants and so aren't mulched by anything more than leaf litter from its neighbors, which is always removed before the winter... read more

On Mar 15, 2008, gracepete from Albany, OR wrote:

Last June (2007) I found Agastache 'Red Fortune' at a local nursery. It was growing in a one gallon pot and in full, gorgeous-gotta-have bloom. I bought two plants. Of all the agastaches, Red Fortune has, in my opinion, the most favorable flower color--a rich cerise red with a hint of purple and no orange. My plants grew about 24 inches tall and were in bloom most of the summer and fall. It is March 2008 now and both plants survived a soggy winter, (Zone 8b) planted in well-draining soil. There is a nice clump of new foliage about an inch tall that appears to be impervious to slugs, of which I have an abundance. In my experience, agastaches will root readily from semi-hard stem cuttings. I can't have too many Red Fortunes.

On Jul 27, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Bought 4 one-gallon pots of 'Red Fortune' this year. It is new to me and couldn't resist getting them. Beautiful and smells great. More plants for the little Hummers! Lean soil, excellent drainage and pea gravel on top (like all other Agastaches, Lavender and Penstemons).