Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

Moonflower, Moon Vine, Giant White Moonflower 'Meekerii'

Ipomoea alba

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: alba (AL-ba) (Info)
Cultivar: Meekerii

Grand Saline, Texas

Shepherd, Texas

Temple, Texas

On Oct 17, 2016, Tiffit65 from Newport, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have tried growing Moonflowers for the last three years. They grow, and climb very beautifully, but when they get ready to flower, it's late September, early October. Frost hits, and I never get to see them bloom.
This year(2016), i started them very early, in peat pots, so I wouldn't disturb their root system, and I saw one almost flower, then the frost came.
I now have a growroom, and really want them for next summer. I'd like to start them in our growroom, but need a little help. When should I start them, and how should I support them. I've used bamboo skewers in the past, and they just aren't tall enough. I live in zone 5, in the Lake Sunapee area of New Hampshire. Thank you! I've tried just about everything.

On Sep 3, 2012, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Apologies. I just posted the generic I. alba photo to this "Meekerii" page

On May 29, 2012, marialuisa2 from Selma, NC wrote:

After many attempts in the last few years, I finally got the seeds to sprout and now have four(4) healthy seedlings doing fine growing in a good size pot. The seed packet said the blooms are fragant at night. I will post photos and document night fragance when it happens.

On Mar 23, 2011, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

On Jun 8, 2009, phydeaux from Crescent City, CA wrote:

An acquaintance handed me a muddy little plant she'd jerked out of the ground about a year ago. She told me it was a "moonflower," and was very hardy. Hardy!! Talk about an understatement! Here in the warm, moist, highly acidic northwest corner of California, It's growing like gangbusters. It's almost scary -- I think it could easily do a kudzu thing. Since I planted it to hide the death throes of a shed, I think it's gonna do the trick. But I don't think anyone can control this plant -- it's off and running. It's beautiful and invasive.

On Jul 30, 2006, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a dark-seeded form of I. alba. The seedling proved to be very cold hardy, surviving short periods of freezing temps when I placed it out a little too early. Other tropical species I had planted near it experienced damage resulting in death. The mature vine isn't near as aggressive as the white-seeded form, being somewhat slow growing in spite of the fact that it's planted in an area that gets ample moisture. The vine also tends to be more wiry with less of the typical red pigmentation that the white has, and the flowers aren't quite as large. This may be a better cultivar for those who want the flowers, but not the massive amount of vines the white one produces, and also good for those who live in colder areas who have trouble growing this species.