PlantFiles: Mountain Cornflower, Mountain Bluet, Perennial Cornflower
Centaurea montana 'Amethyst in Snow'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Centaurea (sen-TAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: montana (MON-tah-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Amethyst in Snow
Additional cultivar information: (PP18284)
Hybridized by Sahin; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2006

Purple

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

Patented

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By Calif_Sue

Thumbnail #6 of Centaurea montana by debi_k

By canadiana
Thumbnail #7 of Centaurea montana by canadiana

Positive Bazuhi On May 27, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This was planted in my garden May of 2010 and was purchased at the Local Home Depot and so far it growing with great success. Today is May 27th and the plant is in full bloom with more blooms to come getting it's afternoon sun till dusk. This plant should do well like my Montana Blue I will assume this will grow the same as my Montana Blue and will treat it the same.. Montana Blue: transplants easy so you can give small ones away to friends and at times there are many to give away! I do cut them down around July due to how tall they get they do seem to fall down leaving a bare center, but cutting them back about 2-3 inches from the ground brings new growth and a second bloom as well.

Neutral zak1962 On Mar 23, 2009, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I'm amending my original post and changing from a 'Positive' to a 'Neutral'. After it's initial beautiful show most of these plants have developed what I believe to be mildew problems.. I'm not 100% sure on this. This lower leaves are actually browning out as if all the energy in the plant is leaving them to produce flowers. Several have become plain unsightly. I'm cutting them back to regenerate growth, but until then the jury is out!

By the way, ignore what I said about controlling these plants. I also have several Mountain Bluet that I moved last fall. No matter how much I dig I keep getting start-ups from the orginal plants roots.

My original comments...

"I purchased one of these is 2006. In early 2007 I was able to take some rooted cuttings and transplant them between my Russian Sage. After taking the cuttings the parent plant experienced 'explosive' growth. It resembled a groudcover, in that it filled a 2' by 2' area. I decided to dig it up and split it into 13 plants by the the end of spring.

The 50' long and very narrow bed I placed it in became known as my 'Groundcover bed'. It includes the aforementioned Russian Sage, as well as Golden Teardrop sedum, Dead Nettle, Creeping Jenny and Silver Brocade (the low mat forming variety, not the more upright Dusty Miller)... all battling it out. I started all from clippings of other plants last year and they are filling in very nicely so far in 2009. With new spring bulbs popping up between it should make for a beautiful sight in about a month.

Back to the Amethyst-in-snow... it does have sprawling habit as it comes up from the roots. They are easily dug up and totally controllable. The plants do tend to get leggy after their blooms expire, however like other cornflowers, they can be cut back and fill in quite quickly. I suggest deadheading the spent blooms, as this plant will flower through out the growing season."

Positive mycatdave On Nov 10, 2008, mycatdave from Brandon, SD wrote:

I also liked the looks of this plant; both the flower and growing habit, so I purchased it through mail order from a comany i had bought from before. It has done very well in my garden, and will seed out around the area. It is not invasive; thus the little new plants are welcomed. I have a blue one and the white one. I have grown it in full sun as well as part shade. We get very cold winters here; but it winters well in the garden.

Neutral Sheila_FW On Nov 6, 2008, Sheila_FW from Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I loved the look of the plant when a friend purchased one for each of us from a Botanic Garden sale; they were in full bloom (see my pictures I posted). However in our area they suffered greatly. Not sure if it was the heat of our Texas summers. Mine was in partial shade and lasted a bit longer than hers.

Rosamond, California