American Snoutbean
Rhynchosia americana

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhynchosia (rin-KOH-see-a) (Info)
Species: americana (a-mer-ih-KAY-na) (Info)

under 6 in. (15 cm)

positive

On Aug 1, 2006, GD_Rankin from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Since I first discovered the bloom of this plant, I've been able to locate several more of these growing in the hot dry sandy field down in front of my house. They are growing wild along with several other Texas native species, including the Texas Chenille, aka Cardinal's Feather and a few more.

They are most abundant in areas that get full sun and very little water, so I consider them to be drought resistant and suitable for xeriscaping for sure.

As far as propagation methods are concerned, I'm still learning about these. I have taken two cuttings from one vine and will post the results as they develop. As shown in the photos, there are several seed pods that the dried flowers make, but I haven't collected or planted any just yet.

The blooms... read more