Dusty Miller, Beach Sage, Beach Wormwood 'Silver Brocade'

Artemisia stelleriana

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Artemisia (ar-te-MIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: stelleriana (stell-er-ee-AH-na) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Brocade

This plant is resistant to deer

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Prescott Valley, Arizona

Spicewood, Texas

Renton, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Sep 22, 2009, jantee from Applegate, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

2nd yr for mine. tag w/plant states:"Silver Cascade", artemisia stelleriana. Mine has spread about 24" wide and 3-4" tall. It was in 3"pot when bought. Pretty accent against color. Mine looks more like "victorgardener" photo.

On Jun 6, 2009, caroling from Albany, OR wrote:

According to http://www.Perennials.com, this plant is patented, but it is the only website that I could find any patent info on. All of the nursery websites that I visited that sell this plant don't seem to mention that it's patented. Perennials.com also states that it's proper name is 'Boughton Silver'.

A lovely accent in the garden, works well under taller plants. A great place for wild baby cottontail rabbits to hide under and nibble on! Does reseed lightly in my garden.

On Apr 2, 2009, enyeholt from Village of Port Clements

On the Queen Charlotte Islands ( NW BC) Canada -rainforest- this plant grows, but I just learned that it hates 'wet feet' so now I know how to make it do better. I have considered it a so-so addition 'cuz it doesn't bush out very much. Now I know, so thank you all.

On Mar 23, 2009, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I purchased two (2) of these plants last year. Both grew to fill in areas approximately 2' by 2'. Every once in a while a piece would start aiming for the sky. I'd cut it back and it would continue back to it's spreading habit. I rooted a good dozen cuttings in another bed to good effect.

This plant was marketed as a perennial here in zone 6a and I'm happy to report that the parent plants, as well as every one of their rooted offspring, are coming back up in my garden as we speak. Check out the pic I posted to the right and see what a beautiful accent this plant can make in a sea of color!

On Apr 2, 2008, Cordeledawg from Cordele, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I'm using these plants to break up various colors within my perennial butterfly garden. Should make a different with the color flow and easy on the eyes. This plant is a host for the Painted Ladies and American Ladies butterflies.

On Jan 14, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I treat mine as annuals, cheap enough to replace each season. I love mixing it w/ diff. plants each time, the unexpected combos always delight me. But beware, pair it w/ plants that have low water requirements or the excess water will kill your DM.

On May 17, 2006, dakotaroser from Kingston, NH wrote:

I grew this beautiful variety "SILVER BROCADE" after doing alittle searching
on line last year. Unusually variety, it just blends in with
so many plants and yes it spreads out but it was easy for
me to control. It came back this year in a nice clump, I've
since moved it and it still looks great, one of many great
varieties of artemisia.

On May 19, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I always thought Dusty Miller was an annual here in zone 5 but it's come back 2 years now; I think it's because we winter protect our roses and it gets protected just because it's in with them. I love this plant as a backdrop for my roses. It's a lovely color and when it blooms it attracts butterflies and bees.

On May 12, 2005, Judy81350 from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grew this plant around my antique plow and it complimented it very nicely. It was very thirsty in the summer but did very well. Started to get leggy towards the end. I would grow it again.

On Aug 29, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Beach wormwood. also known as old woman or dusty miller, is one of the best rockgarden artemisias and a standby of Southern gardeners near the coast. 'Silver Brocade' is a choice cultivar with soft, felt-like leaves. Its size, 3 to 4 feet wide and under 1 foot tall, makes it a wonderful ground cover or edging plant for dry areas. The blooms are not valuable, but they do not detract from the plant. Deer will occasionally browse on this species, perhaps because it does not have the strong, herby odor that other artemisias do.