Raulston Allspice, Eastern Sweetshrub
X Sinocalycalycanthus raulstonii 'Venus'

Family: Calycanthaceae
Genus: X Sinocalycalycanthus (sy-no-kal-ee-kal-ee-KAN-thus) (Info)
Species: raulstonii
Cultivar: Venus
Synonym:Calycanthus x raulstonii

Partial to Full Shade

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Cream/Tan

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

From hardwood cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Peoria, Illinois

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Leesburg, Virginia

Petersburg, West Virginia

On Feb 14, 2015, Megilbert from Bloomfield, NY wrote:

I absolutely love this plant. It is growing vigorously in my zone 5 garden. I have had it for 3 years now and it is about 3-4 feet tall and wide. Prolific blooming, nice fragrance and clean foliage. My only negative would be that I have black spotting every year on my beautiful flowers. This plant is much hardier (cold hardy) than given credit. Last winter we had one of our coldest winters ever (more like a zone 4) and this plant came through with no tip die back or root damage.

On Jan 14, 2012, gorgeguy from Portland, OR wrote:

I have 3 of the "Venus" variety and 1 species. The plants' habit tends toward a philadelphus look: Long stems and flowers right on them (as opposed to laterals). The flowers indeed look magnolia-like (think stellata class).

In terms of scent, almost seems as if each flower has its own identity. On the plus side, they are always fragrant, as opposed to the species which varies dramatically from 1 plant to the next.

The fragrance is also of a melon variety, although like any calycanthus it is variable. I have not noticed it wafting which, IMHO, is generally the hallmark of a great fragrant plant (daphne odora is my comparison). Nonetheless, it makes for a statement that one appreciates unusual plants.

On May 22, 2009, braun06 from Peoria Heights, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

The foliage of the plant is nice and the flowers are relatively interesting but I didnt like the smell. It reminded me of a trash can at a roadside fruit stand. I would only plant this for appearance.

On Jun 25, 2008, pegngana from Frankfort, KY wrote:

I love this plant (no bias here!) and so far it has done well for me. I bought this last spring (2007) and though it was tiny it bloomed several times during the summer. Now it's much larger (2 1/2 5o 3 feet high and a bit wider) and continues to bloom. But the leaves also are shiny and bright. I have it at the top of a self-made hillock; my garden used to be a gravel parking pad. It has the best topsoil I could fine locally, and first access to the soaker hose, and on top of that mulch. So far it's simply lovely. And, yes, I baby it, but no more than the rest of the garden.

Hope this helps someone.

On Mar 29, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

IA vigorous, adaptable deciduous shrub with 3-in. magnolia-like blooms that release a powerful fragrance of strawberries and melon when fully opened. Heaviest bloom is early, with encores all summer.