PlantFiles: African Violet
Saintpaulia 'Pow Wow'

Family: Gesneriaceae (ges-ner-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Saintpaulia (saint-PAWL-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Pow Wow
Additional cultivar information: (aka Powwow)
Hybridized by K. Stork; Year of Registration or Introduction: 06/15/1992

Velvet

Leaf Color:
White/Cream variegated

Propagation:
May be propagated by cuttings (leaf, sucker, or bloom stalk)

By av_ocd_girl

Thumbnail #5 of Saintpaulia  by mellielong

Thumbnail #6 of Saintpaulia  by mellielong

Thumbnail #7 of Saintpaulia  by mellielong

Positive leisure500 On Apr 5, 2011, leisure500 from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

When I was making my first online order for violets in 2007, I ran across a photo of Pow Wow.

At the time, I was looking for a violet with variegated foliage, and one of Lyndon Lyon's offerings, ... Private Dancer, ... seemed like what I was looking for.

But I do significant research on the plants I purchase (most of the time), and I wanted to see a photo of the whole plant, rather than just the blossom and a leaf which Lyon showed in their online catalog.

So I did a photo search for Private Dancer across the Internet, ... and came up with (3) possible photos. Of the (3), only (2) exhibited the violet-blue blossoms Lyons showed for Private Dancer. The other plant, though it was nicely variegated, ... had deep red blossoms. In its own way, ... it was stunning. And though I went on to purchase Private Dancer at that time, ... and have a mature specimen of Private Dancer which is, now, one of my top performers, ... I never quite got that red violet out of my mind.

Ultimately, I would come to discover that the red violet was Pow Wow, ... and, in the fall of 2010, I added Pow Wow to my collection. One thing that I've noticed already is that Pow Wow is vigorous, and is quite floriferous, even as a young plant. And there are hints of it's full variegation, which, typically, doesn't fully manifest until the plant matures. But I have the highest of expectations for this plant. From all the photos I have seen, it can be quite a stunner.

Neutral gessiegail On Aug 24, 2007, gessiegail from Taft, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Powwow (7708) 06/15/1992 (K. Stork) Semidouble red pansy. Variegated green and cream, plain. Standard

Capistrano Beach, California