Asiatic Jasmine, Asian Jasmine
Trachelospermum asiaticum 'Salsa'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachelospermum (tray-key-low-SPER-mum) (Info)
Species: asiaticum (a-see-AT-ee-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Salsa

Spicewood, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

negative

On Feb 21, 2012, cam2 from Houston, TX wrote:

Started this as a cutting a few years ago ~ had almost forgotten about it until last year when I noticed it creeping all over it's area ~ very delightful! Doesn't die back here in 8b...

On Mar 20, 2011, lemmerg from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I ADORE this plant. I am so glad to finally identify what it is so I can get more!! I bought three several years ago and planted all three in different containers. I've been looking for more ever since. I live in Atlanta with plenty of sun and hot weather, and fairly cold winters (especially the last two). These plants are marvelous! They are in the sun during the summer and do great--they also stay in pretty good shape during the winter. They get more of the orange color in the fall and keep a fair amount of color during the winter--they have never died down. Since I have them in containers, I can't speak much to its invasiveness, but wherever it has grown to the ground, I don't see any invasion over the last three years. It has also stayed pretty much the same size in the contai... read more

On Jun 29, 2010, crlane from Port Arthur, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this plant in a planting bed under a red oak for a couple of years. It is thriving and seems to handle the Gulf coast heat here in Southeast Texas. Also is draught tolerant. It is not spreading as fast as I would like, but it does get a good amount of shade in a fairly dry bed.

On Nov 18, 2008, msfeatherflower from Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bought one plant from Home Depot today. They had plenty in stock in small containers for $3.99. Will keep you posted in how it goes.

On Jul 30, 2008, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted 3 small plants to try it out and now wish I had planted 10 to make a more colorful patch of it. I am using mine as a ground cover, it won't be a quick process with my 3 little plants, but that's OK w/ me. Retains its wonderful colors.

May 2010: Poor cultivar to use as ground cover, but wonderful as a trailer in pot or hanging basket. Keep watered.

On Aug 6, 2006, crowellli from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is supposed to be less invasive than the more common green variety. I love the colors on it and currently have it in a mixed container. I'll report back on how it fares.

Died within weeks. Planted in large container with Magilla Perilla, croton & Persian Shield. All plants other than the jasmine did well. I think Houston's high heat and humidity did it in. (It was shielded from direct sun by the other plants.)