PlantFiles: Large Flowered Climbing Rose
Rosa 'Red Eden'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Eden
Additional cultivar information: (aka Eric Tabarly, MEIdrason)
Hybridized by Meilland; Year of Registration or Introduction: 2004

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

Thumbnail #1 of Rosa  by Kell

By manueldalmeida
Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by manueldalmeida

No positives

Negative sshort On Jun 25, 2013, sshort from Kansas City, MO wrote:

This is my Red Eden's third year. I purchased it potted in late spring from a very reliable garden center. I gave it the same care as the rest of my roses. Good soil, food, water and fungicide. First year it rested, second year a long cane grew and several short canes. I started training it over a chain link fence but no pruning yet. It put out several buds during the summer but they balled. 2012 was a really bad year for roses in Kansas City with extremely hot days and little rain, which meant lots of city water just to keep things going. This year the canes are starting to grow and it put out lots of buds, But! It was a cool spring and all of the buds balled and rotted. I will watch closely this year and hope it will put on more buds which will open up. If not, I will also find a better red climber for this area.
My other roses were gorgeous and loved the cool spring. I live in a micro climate, about zone 6a or 7b.

Neutral LauraSteele On Nov 12, 2010, LauraSteele from Fort Wayne, IN wrote:

I bought this rose in June of 2009 at a local plant sale. It was wrapped loosely in a piece of burlap and tied with twine. Not a very promising start. I planted it the same day in full sun with excellent soil and drainage, tied to a wrought iron fence that I want it to spill over. One 3' cane and a small withered bud that never opened was what I got last year. Coned and mulched for winter. This Spring it put out 1 nice bloom, I cut it back to a 5-leaf and it later sent out a 5-budded spray. Nice cupped and quartered blooms, deep red color, not much fragrance, clean deep green glossy foliage. I'll give a couple more years to see what happens.

2011: It sent out 1 more cane and several flowers that never really opened fully. I don't think it likes our Indiana weather. The buds turn brown and dry out before they get a chance to bloom properly. Maybe the "cabbage-shaped" roses aren't meant to grow this far north. I didn't "cone" it or anything for Winter. If it dies, it dies. I'm tired of fussing with this thing. It either grows well this Summer or it's outta here. I would not recommend this rose to a northern gardener.

Fort Wayne, Indiana