Garden Stock, Gillyflower, Hoary Stock, Tenweek Stock

Matthiola incana

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Matthiola (ma-the-OH-luh) (Info)
Species: incana (in-KAN-nuh) (Info)

Flowers are good for cutting

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bertschikon Bei Attikon,

Alice, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

East Barre, Vermont

On Oct 9, 2014, DavidLMo from St Joseph, MO wrote:

This plant is not an annual. It is a biennial or short lived perennial. I am not sure what its hardiness zone is. Here in Zone 5b, I am gonna try to over winter them indoors under lights. Adorable scent. As a former florist, I loved to add stock to an arrangement for the smell and the interesting flower form.

On Feb 23, 2012, KateintheDesert from Willcox, AZ (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had very good success growing this plant in Willcox, Arizona; a high desert area. It is in a pot on an open porch facing a SW direction. It never did die back and bloomed most of the winter. I also had it in a SE area and it did well there also. I do have a large tree in the yard which shades the pot in the heat of the summer, and allows the sun to shine on the pot in the winter months when the leaves are off the tree. I do cut back on the watering in the winter so it will rest a bit and by the end of February it is up and blooming again. I have had them come back for several years now and enjoy their blooms and fragrance. This last year I put pots of them under the trees in the front yard with violets and they did well there also. I have collected seeds and have shared the... read more

On Jul 9, 2006, Leehallfae from Seattle, WA wrote:

Gillyflower has naturalized in my garden.

It has the most wonderful fragrance. The color is nice, too.

As for care, I leave it alone and it thrives.

On Dec 7, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Stock are one of my favorite cool weather plants. Their bloom period is long and their flowers last a long time. Unfortunately, I have had difficulty with keeping them alive in some areas of my yard. They develop some kind of a root fungus that kills them or they had the problem when I purchased them. Where they do grow, they have become large plants that fill my yard with a wonderful scent that travels quite a distance.

On May 28, 2003, CanadaGoose from Oakville, ON (Zone 5b) wrote:

Glorious annual with beautiful scent. Pinch out to encourage bushiness and longer flowering period. May occasionally over-winter if in protected spot and well-mulched.