Tea Tree

Leptospermum namadgiensis

Family: Myrtaceae (mir-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leptospermum (lep-toh-SPER-mum) (Info)
Species: namadgiensis

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

On Jan 12, 2011, lehua_mc from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased this "Alpine Tea Tree" from Xera Plants last spring, and now in the grips of messy winter weather with patches of frozen ground and freezing rain, this new addition is taking it in stride. The tag says "Zn7b (5 - 10 degrees F)", expected to be "8'x5' wide in 5 years". I expect to see more dramatic growth in its second year, so far it's been a small evergreen without much action.

On Jun 18, 2010, MTVineman from Helena, MT (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a beautiful shrub. I doubt it would be hardy here but it takes quite a lot of cold. I'm not going to leave it out and test it though! It has the most amazing exfoliating bark and gorgeous white flowers with a tiny bit of a blue tinge. Mine does anyway. Has the typical Tea Tree Oil fragrance when you squish the leaves and is a fairly fast grower. I have mine on my back porch where it gets morning sun and some noon sun then shade the rest of the day. It seems quite happy. Does fine inside during Winter if kept on the dry side and watered only when it really needs it. Don't keep it too warm either. Spectacular plant and should really be more widely grown! Mine has grown into a beautiful shape as well and always gets lots of comments.

On Dec 18, 2007, pb09 from Portland, OR wrote:

This tea-tree has the most AMAZING bark. It exfoliates to copper, green
and gray in flaking patches. Very hardy to cold, to 0F in western Oregon. Creamy white flowers are 1" across, aromatic foliage is furry
and green. Lovely shrub.