Nemesia strumosa

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nemesia (ne-MEE-see-uh) (Info)
Species: strumosa (stroo-MOH-suh) (Info)

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seward, Alaska

Roseland, California

Winnetka, California

Stone Mountain, Georgia

Jackson, Missouri

Danville, Virginia

On Dec 28, 2012, stephenp from Wirral, UK, Zone 9a
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

In the cool, but rarely frozen climate of the United Kingdom, this one tends to grow, and stay evergreen all year round. It happily grows at temperatures around 7-10C as we get in winter.. mine is currently putting flower buds out in late December.. so it could well be flowering in early January.

It's surprising that such a delicate leaved plant stays evergreen in the rather windy, inclement British climate.

On Apr 26, 2009, birder17 from Jackson, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

I love this little plant. It's fragrance is wonderful. I am in zone 6b with heat and humidity in the summer. I plant this in full bright shade on the north side of my home. I had it in the full sun, but it was very unhappy. It bloomed all summer long in the bright shade. Next year, I may try to winter sow it. I could not find seeds this year.

On Feb 24, 2008, pixiesadelle from San Diego, CA wrote:

I've grown purple and white nemesias in central San Diego for the last few years--they have performed amazingly. In the cool season through the ultra-hot summer, they are happy. For me, they certainly survive heat and behave as perennials. However, I have very rich soil (amended clay) and am an admitted over-waterer, so maybe that's why we're such good friends. :) I shear them and then divide them about once a year (I literally rip them in half, right down the middle) and they come right back after about a day of slight drooping. I've also tried rooting cuttings (cut from the base), and that works too (I use half peat moss/builder's sand). They are great filler for bulbs.

On May 2, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A secret garden treasure in a delightful array of colours. The seed pods are quiet little cups that hold millions of lined up paper seeds waiting to explode. It isn't as invasive as I would like it to be.

On Feb 17, 2003, michgreen wrote:

Three years of experience with these ever-flowering, petite and fragrant flowers has me sold. Plant on east side, partially shaded from summer's sun, in rich soil and these guys produce wonderfully! Planted by our entry, the fragrance is awesome spring, summer and fall. They even survived the first frost under the red pines!

On Aug 29, 2001, Sis wrote:

Nemesia needs a long,cool growing season.

It does NOT tolerate heat or humidity'